Is a Variable Frequency Drive Necessary for a Turntable Motor?

• Thread starter joeyar
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Motor
In summary: Welcome to PF, Joey. I believe a variable frequency drive is the best thing for a three phase induction AC motor. Also I am looking for information regarding gear ratios - is this part of the VFD or is this separate? Any information regarding gear ratios would be helpful. The motor will be used to power a turntable. gear ratios are usually done separately, depending on the application. VFD's are usually seen in industrial applications. Companies like Baldor make a lot of them. They are quite nice for control. However, to OP, there is no connection between a VFD and gear ratios. The VFD is the motor drive circuitry. It has
joeyar
I believe a variable frequency drive is the best thing for a three phase induction AC motor. Also I am looking for information regarding gear ratios - is this part of the VFD or is this separate? Any information regarding gear ratios would be helpful. The motor will be used to power a turntable.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF, Joey.
Must be one hell of a turntable for that kind of motor to be used. You'd better be playing Black Sabbath or Metallica, because it would simply be wasted on John Denver.

I'm not familiar with VFD's. A gearbox, on the other hand, goes between the motor and the load. You really have to be a lot more specific in your questioning, because there are thousands of possible arrangements.

VFD's are usually seen in industrial applications. Companies like Baldor make a lot of them. They are quite nice for control. However, to OP, there is no connection between a VFD and gear ratios. The VFD is the motor drive circuitry. It has nothing to do with the mechanical make up. Every industrial motor I have ever seen has been a straight run shaft. No gearing. You will have to do that separately if required.

joeyar said:
I believe a variable frequency drive is the best thing for a three phase induction AC motor. Also I am looking for information regarding gear ratios - is this part of the VFD or is this separate? Any information regarding gear ratios would be helpful. The motor will be used to power a turntable.

Like Fred mentioned, VFD's are for motor control and don't consit of any type of mechanical gears. We use them in the Oil & Gas industry quite often for variable speed drilling top drives.

Here's a little more information on them...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Variable-frequency_drive

CS

Try google on -> direct drive record turntable

The ones I remember did indeed use a vfd on an induction motor.
They did not use gearing and the turntable was set directly on the shaft.

try calling the baldor or leeson motor rep

try calling the baldor or leeson motor rep
they will know what is best for your application
not much else to say without specs for horse power or speeds
these motors are both great
good luck

Dear joey

A variable-frequency drive (VFD) is a system for controlling the rotational speed of an alternating current (AC) electric motor by controlling the frequency of the electrical power supplied to the motor.

Variable frequency drives operate under the principle that the synchronous speed of an AC motor is determined by the frequency of the AC supply and the number of poles in the stator winding, according to the relation, RPM=120f/p

where, p is the number of pole pairs, f is the ac power frequency.So by varying the frequency the speed of motor can be controlled.

About the Mechanical reduction or gear ratios in motors reduction units most common is worm wheel and planetary reduction stages and again depends on application.

Thanks& Regards

Rajeesh

Old thread, but hopefully, the OP is talking about a big turntable, like one you might put a car on at a car show. I happened to see a sales rep turning one off at the Philly car show last month, and it looked like about a 1-3hp motor with a belt-drive. Still not something warranting a 3 phase motor and VFD.

Related to Is a Variable Frequency Drive Necessary for a Turntable Motor?

1. What are the different types of motors and their specifications?

There are several types of motors, including AC motors, DC motors, servo motors, stepper motors, and linear motors. Each type has its own unique specifications, such as voltage, speed, torque, and power output.

2. How do I determine the appropriate motor size for my application?

The size of a motor depends on several factors, including the weight and size of the load it will be driving, the required speed and torque, and the available power supply. It is important to carefully consider these factors and consult with a motor expert to determine the appropriate size for your specific application.

3. What is the difference between brushed and brushless motors?

Brushed motors use physical brushes to transfer electrical current to the rotating armature, while brushless motors use electronic commutation. Brushless motors tend to be more efficient and have a longer lifespan, but they are also more expensive than brushed motors.

4. Can I control the speed of a motor?

Yes, the speed of a motor can be controlled through various methods, such as adjusting the voltage or using a motor controller. Some motors also have built-in speed control features.

5. How do I troubleshoot motor issues?

If you are experiencing issues with your motor, first check the power supply and ensure it is supplying the correct voltage. Inspect all connections and make sure they are secure. If the motor is still not functioning properly, consult the manufacturer's manual or contact a motor expert for further assistance.