Is a W or a C worse for a gen Ed?

• Thread starter RadiumBlue
  • Start date
In summary, the speaker is a sophomore physics major who is struggling with a Jazz History course that they chose as their last general education requirement. They have been doing well on writing assignments but are struggling with tests and quizzes due to the multiple-choice format. They currently have a C/D+ average and are debating whether to withdraw from the course and save their GPA or push through and potentially get a C or C+. The speaker is also considering taking a different general education course over the winter or next semester. They are seeking advice on what to do.
RadiumBlue
I'm a sophomore physics major finishing up my last gen. Ed requirement, for this one I picked Jazz History because it sounded interesting and fulfilled the last requirement. I have As on my writing assignments, but tests and quizzes are all multiple choice about names and dates, which it turns out I'm awful at keeping straight. I have a C/D+ average for the midterm and quizzes, which are a little over half the grade, so I'm on track to get a C, maybe a C+ if I'm lucky. I'm doing great in all my other major-related classes, knock on wood, so the rest isn't an issue, it's just this one gen-ed. The withdraw date is coming up next week, and I'm wondering if it would be better for grad schools to get the C and be done, or withdraw and save my GPA and just take a different gen ed over the winter or next semester. Help?

Physics news on Phys.org
Only my opinion, but a course on Jazz History is not important for your major field of study. C is the lowest grade you want, and is better than a W just because it would be some acceptable credit. If you drop and get W, then make a better choice about your next try at the needed general education requirement.

Given that you're having difficulty with this general education class, what is the probability that you will struggle with another that you take over the winter?

Related to Is a W or a C worse for a gen Ed?

1. Is a W or a C worse for a gen Ed?

It depends on the individual's situation and academic goals. A W (withdrawal) generally does not affect the GPA, but it may appear on the transcript. A C (average) affects the GPA, but it also fulfills the gen Ed requirement.

2. Will a W or a C impact my chances of getting into graduate school?

Graduate schools typically look at the overall GPA and the specific courses taken, rather than individual grades. A W or a C may raise some questions, but it is not likely to significantly impact your chances of admission.

3. Can I retake a course if I receive a W or a C?

Yes, most universities allow students to retake a course if they receive a W or a C. However, policies may vary, so it is important to check with your academic advisor or the university's registrar office for specific guidelines.

4. Will a W or a C affect my financial aid?

A W (withdrawal) may not have an impact on financial aid, but a C (average) may affect the GPA, which could impact scholarships or other forms of financial aid. It is important to check with your university's financial aid office for more information.

5. Should I prioritize avoiding a W or a C in my courses?

It ultimately depends on your academic goals and priorities. If you are concerned about your GPA, it may be beneficial to avoid a C (average). However, if you are struggling in a course and need to withdraw to avoid a failing grade, a W (withdrawal) may be the better option. It is important to discuss your options with your academic advisor.