Is AA^T Always a Symmetric Matrix?

• Thread starter kq6up
  • Start date
In summary, Chris suggests that the product AA^T is a symmetric matrix. He then provides a nice, concise proof using the "Relevant EQ" theorem. Excellent work!
kq6up

Homework Statement

Mary Boas 3.9.5

Show that the product AA^T is a symmetric matrix.

Homework Equations

$${ \left( AB \right) }_{ ij }=\sum _{ k }^{ }{ { A }_{ ik } } { B }_{ kj }$$

The Attempt at a Solution

I do not have a solution for this one, so could someone please check my work? I never took geometry or was required to do any proofs in calculus, so go easy on me.

If $${ \left( AA \right) }_{ ij }=\sum _{ k }^{ }{ { A }_{ ik } } A_{ kj }$$, then $${ \left( A{ A }^{ T } \right) }_{ ij }=\sum _{ k }^{ }{ { A }_{ ik } } A_{ jk }$$.

∴ $${ \left( A{ A }^{ T } \right) }_{ ij }=\sum _{ k }^{ }{ { A }_{ jk } } A_{ ik }=\sum _{ k }^{ }{ { A }_{ jk } } { A }_{ ki }^{ T }={ \left( A{ A }^{ T } \right) }_{ ji }$$

Since, $$ { \left( A{ A }^{ T } \right) }_{ ij }={ \left( A{ A }^{ T } \right) }_{ ji }$$, $$A{ A }^{ T } $$ is a symmetric matrix.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, it looks fine to me. Using exactly the same method of proof, you can show that ##(XY)^T = Y^T X^T## for any matrices ##X## and ##Y## of the appropriate size for the product to make sense. The symmetry of ##AA^T## is a special case of this result: set ##X = A## and ##Y = A^T##.

Likes 1 person
You cannot have ##A_{ki}^T## because ##A_{ki}## is a term in the matrix. Note however that the terms commute so

##A_{jk}A_{ik}=A_{ik}A_{jk}##

##(AA^T)_{ij}=\sum_kA_{jk}A_{ik}=\sum_kA_{ik}A_{jk}=(AA^T)_{ji}##

xiavatar said:
You cannot have ##A_{ki}^T## because ##A_{ki}## is a term in the matrix.
I assumed he meant ##(A^T)_{ki}##, the element in row ##k## and column ##i## of ##A^T##, which is of course the same as ##A_{ik}##.

Okay, then its fine.

Yes, indeed that is what I meant, but I did not know how to express it.

Chris

A friend of mine suggested $${ { (AA }^{ T }) }^{ T }={ A }^{ T }A$$ which is incorrect, but it led me to the MUCH more elegant proof using the "Relevant EQ" above to get $${ { (AA }^{ T }) }^{ T }={ AA }^{ T }$$. I think that does the job very nicely.

Regards,
Chris Maness

kq6up said:
$${ { (AA }^{ T }) }^{ T }={ AA }^{ T }$$. I think that does the job very nicely.
Both correct and nice. Very nicely indeed.

Thank you for the encouragement. I have been working my butt off in this book. I started chapter 1 in the middle of February and I am only in Chapter 3, but I am doing every problem I have a solution and/or answer for. Chapter 3 is hard work because I have never had linear algebra.

Chris

FAQ: Is AA^T Always a Symmetric Matrix?

1. What is the definition of a symmetrical matrix?

A symmetrical matrix is a square matrix where the elements above and below the main diagonal are reflections of each other. In other words, for a matrix A, Aij = Aji for all i and j.

2. Why is it important to prove that AAT is symmetrical?

Proving that AAT is symmetrical is important because it is a key property in linear algebra and has many practical applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and computer science. Additionally, it helps to simplify and streamline calculations and proofs involving symmetric matrices.

3. How do you prove that AAT is symmetrical?

To prove that AAT is symmetrical, we need to show that AT = A. This can be done by using the definition of a symmetrical matrix and the properties of matrix multiplication. Specifically, we need to show that (AAT)T = AAT. Once this is proven, we can conclude that AAT is indeed symmetrical.

4. What are the implications of AAT being symmetrical?

There are several implications of AAT being symmetrical. One is that it guarantees the existence of an orthogonal eigenvector basis for the matrix AAT. This, in turn, leads to various useful properties, such as the ability to diagonalize the matrix and simplify calculations involving it. Additionally, symmetric matrices have a number of other important properties, such as being positive definite.

5. Can AAT be symmetrical if A is not a square matrix?

No, AAT can only be symmetrical if A is a square matrix. This is because the definition of a symmetrical matrix requires that A and AT have the same dimensions, which can only be true if A is a square matrix. Therefore, if A is not square, AAT cannot be symmetrical.