Is AB Hermitian If A and B Are Hermitian Operators?

The key is to remember that in order for AB to be Hermitian, it must equal its adjoint, which is why AB=B*A*. And since B and A are both Hermitian, they are equal to their adjoints, making AB=BA. And finally, since AB=BA, the commutator AB-BA must be equal to 0 for AB to be Hermitian. And that's the proof!
burningbend
If A and B are hermitian operators, then AB is hermitian only if the commutator=0.

basically i need to prove that, but i don't really know where to start ofther than the general <f|AB|g> = <g|AB|f>*

obv physics math is not my strong point. thanks :)

Physics news on Phys.org
i understand the proof of a single operator and the expansion of the relation to integral notation, but i don't understand the significance of the multiplication of the operators and why there is the condition there.

how's this?

<f|AB|g>=<g|AB|f>*

left=([tex]\sum[/tex]<g|A|m><m|B|f>)*
left=[tex]\sum[/tex]<m|A*|g><f|B*|m>
left=[tex]\sum[/tex]<f|B*|m><m|A*|g>
left=<f|B*A*|g>
since B and A are Hermitian,
<f|AB|g> = <f|BA|g>
so AB-BA=0

good enough?

Last edited:
Begin with the definition of "Hermitian operator" i.e. it is equal to its adjoint, then apply it to AB and see what is necessary to make it Hermitian.

I don't think you need to invoke the "bra", "ket" products.

jambaugh said:
Begin with the definition of "Hermitian operator" i.e. it is equal to its adjoint, then apply it to AB and see what is necessary to make it Hermitian.

I don't think you need to invoke the "bra", "ket" products.

so,

AB=(AB)*
AB=B*A*
B and A are Hermitian, so,
AB=BA
AB-BA=0

and that's it?

i haven't had linear algebra (lol) so the (AB)*=B*A* is a little confusing to me, which i kinda figured out based on using the brackets and the completeness relation. so this would be it?

burningbend said:
so,

AB=(AB)*
AB=B*A*
B and A are Hermitian, so,
AB=BA
AB-BA=0

and that's it?

i haven't had linear algebra (lol) so the (AB)*=B*A* is a little confusing to me, which i kinda figured out based on using the brackets and the completeness relation. so this would be it?

That's all there is to it!

FAQ: Is AB Hermitian If A and B Are Hermitian Operators?

1. What are quantum operators?

Quantum operators are mathematical representations of physical observables in quantum mechanics. They are used to describe the behavior and properties of quantum systems.

2. How do quantum operators work?

Quantum operators act on quantum states, which are represented by vectors in a mathematical space known as Hilbert space. The operators operate on these vectors to produce new vectors, representing the state after the operator has been applied.

3. What is the difference between Hermitian and non-Hermitian quantum operators?

Hermitian operators are self-adjoint, meaning their eigenvalues are all real and their eigenvectors are orthogonal. Non-Hermitian operators do not have these properties and may have complex eigenvalues and non-orthogonal eigenvectors.

4. How are quantum operators used in quantum mechanics?

Quantum operators are used to calculate the expectation values of physical observables, such as position, momentum, and energy. They are also used to describe the time evolution of quantum systems and to perform quantum operations in quantum computing.

5. Can quantum operators be measured?

Yes, quantum operators can be measured in experiments. The result of a measurement will be one of the eigenvalues of the operator, and the corresponding eigenvector will be the state of the system after the measurement. However, the act of measurement can also change the state of the system, making quantum measurements a complex and important aspect of quantum mechanics.

Back