Is AdS Space Present Between Casimir Plates?

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the Cosmological constant in SI units and the Casimir energy for a plate with a separation of 1 \mu m. It is noted that the Casimir energy is significantly more negative than the cosmological constant, leading to a question about whether the space between the plates could be considered AdS space with a negative cosmological constant. However, it is pointed out that AdS solutions have a global negative cosmological constant and are defined by negative curvature and a warp factor, neither of which exist in this case. Further discussion ensues about the definition of AdS and the possibility of a local negative cosmological constant between the plates.
robousy
Hey Folks,

Had a thought - if you work out the Cosmological constant in SI units it works out to be around [tex]10^{-10} J/m^3 [/tex]. I performed a quick calculation for the Casimir energy (EM modes) for a plate measuring [tex]1 m^2 [/tex] for a plate separation of [tex]1 \mu m [/tex] and found it to be on the order of [tex]- 10^{-9} J [/tex] which works out to be around [tex]- 10^{-3} J/m^3 [/tex].

Note this is NEGATIVE energy, and significantly more negative then the comsological constant is postive.

Would it be wrong (and if so why) to say that the space between the plates is AdS space, eg a space with a negative cosmological const?

Physics news on Phys.org
robousy said:
Would it be wrong (and if so why) to say that the space between the plates is AdS space, eg a space with a negative cosmological const?

It would be wrong because AdS solutions have a global negative cosmological constant.

Also AdS is defined by negative curvature, and a warp factor, neither of which exist in your case. The space between the plates is still flat.

BenTheMan said:
Also AdS is defined by...a warp factor

Maybe I'm misunderstanding you. I know that warp factors appear in flux compactifications and that these solutions are AdS before lifting to De Sitter, but I've never seen the idea of warp factors presented as part of the definition of AdS.

josh1 said:
Maybe I'm misunderstanding you. I know that warp factors appear in flux compactifications and that these solutions are AdS before lifting to De Sitter, but I've never seen the idea of warp factors presented as part of the definition of AdS.

Josh---

You are most likely correct. My experiences with AdS have al been from Randall-Sundrum. It was my impression that AdS was negatively curved, and the negative curvature in the radial direction was called the ``warp factor''.

Perhaps I missed the point---the cosmological constant IS negative curvature.

Last edited:
Aaah, ok, so would it be correct to say that there was a local NEGATIVE comsological constant between the plates?

Or how about the following: the Freidmann equations tell us:

[tex]\ddot{a}=-\frac{4}{3}G(\rho+3p)a[/tex]

Let p go to zero, if you flip the sign of [tex]\rho[/tex] you would flip from inflation to deflation, which is what is happening between the plates. Comments??

FAQ: Is AdS Space Present Between Casimir Plates?

1. What is Casimir Energy?

Casimir energy is a form of energy that arises from the vacuum fluctuations of quantum fields. It is named after Dutch physicist Hendrik Casimir, who first predicted its existence in 1948.

2. How is Casimir Energy related to AdS space?

Casimir energy is closely related to AdS space, which stands for Anti-de Sitter space. AdS space is a mathematical model used in theoretical physics to describe a spacetime with a negative cosmological constant. The fluctuations in AdS space give rise to the Casimir effect, which leads to the presence of Casimir energy.

3. What is the Casimir effect?

The Casimir effect is a physical phenomenon where two uncharged parallel plates placed close together experience an attractive force due to the quantum fluctuations in the vacuum between them. This effect is a result of the Casimir energy present in the vacuum.

4. Can Casimir energy be harnessed for practical use?

At this time, Casimir energy is considered a theoretical concept and has not been harnessed for practical use. However, some researchers are exploring the potential for using the Casimir effect in nanotechnology and developing new materials.

5. How is Casimir energy calculated?

The calculation of Casimir energy involves complex mathematical equations and methods from quantum field theory. It takes into account the geometry of the system, the properties of the vacuum, and the presence of any boundaries or objects that may affect the vacuum fluctuations.