Is Air a Heterogeneous Mixture or a Solution?

• Thread starter temaire
  • Start date
Argon is not a compound, but a noble gas. Oxygen is not a compound, but a diatomic molecule, and carbon dioxide is a compound.In summary, air is a mixture of several gases, with the majority being nitrogen and the rest being oxygen, argon, and carbon dioxide. It is not a heterogeneous mixture, nor is it a pure substance or a solution.
temaire

Homework Statement

Air is a mixture of 78% nitrogen, 21% oxygen, 0.09% of argon, and 0.03% of carbon dioxide. What can be said about air?

a) Air is a heterogenous mixture
b) Air is a pure substance, and is made up of N, O, Ar, and C
c) Air is a solution, in which nitrogen is the solvent
d) Air is a solution, in which nitrogen is the solute

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

I put c). Am I right?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes. Do you understand why this is correct?

I got the answer mostly because I thought that the other choices were not correct answers. Also, since nitrogen makes up most of our air, I thought that it would be the solvent. If my reasoning is not going in the right direction, could you help me please?

That's essentially correct.

A heterogeneous mixture must have more than one phase - not the case with air as described in the question (though real air is filled with all manner of solid particulates). Air is not a compound - it can be separated into its constituent gases by "physical" means, and its composition is definitely not fixed.

Related to Is Air a Heterogeneous Mixture or a Solution?

1. What does "Yes, you are correct." mean?

"Yes, you are correct." is a confirmation or agreement with someone's statement or answer.

2. Can you explain the phrase "Yes, you are correct."?

"Yes, you are correct." is a simple phrase that acknowledges the correctness of something that has been said or done.

3. Is it proper grammar to say "Yes, you are correct."?

Yes, the phrase "Yes, you are correct." is grammatically correct and commonly used in spoken and written English.

4. When should I use the phrase "Yes, you are correct."?

"Yes, you are correct." can be used in various situations where you want to confirm the accuracy of someone's statement, answer, or action.

5. Is there a different way to say "Yes, you are correct."?

Yes, there are other ways to express agreement or confirmation such as "That's right," "Absolutely," "I agree," or "You're right."