Is an extra year of undergraduate doing research abroad worth it?

In summary, the individual is currently in their third year of Engineering Physics at the University of Toronto and has one year of research experience in computer architecture. They are planning on gaining another research experience this summer and have the option to do research in Physical Chemistry at the University of Hamburg in Germany for an extra year. However, this would push their degree to five years instead of four. They are also considering doing research at U of T this summer and continuing fourth year after. The individual believes the research and international experience would be valuable when applying to grad school, but is unsure if it is worth delaying graduation by a year.
nicholls
Is an entire year of research abroad worth it if it requires me to do an extra year of my undergraduate degree?

I am currently in my third year of Engineering Physics at the University of Toronto. Right now my goal is to go to graduate school (somewhere) in some field of physics, not quite sure yet exactly what field.

Anyways, I have one year of research experience in computer architecture through an NSERC USRA that I got last summer (2011). I am planning on gaining another research experience this summer in physics and hopefully somewhere (or with someone) which is highly regarded.

I have the option right now to take an extra year between my third and fourth year to go to the University of Hamburg in Germany and do research in Physical Chemistry (tied to Max Planck Institute and DESY) I would also attend class, although none of it would count towards my degree. I would love to do this, however, I don't know if it is worth it to spend an entire extra year to do my undergraduate degree. My degree is currently 4 years long and this would push it to 5 years. In case people ask, I can't possibly spend my fourth year abroad due to accreditation problems with my degree (being it in engineering). This also has to do with why none of the courses I take abroad would count towards my degree.

The other option is that I just try and do research here at U of T this summer through an NSERC USRA, or find another summer long research opportunity, and then continue fourth year after the summer. (I applied to an internship at CERN for the summer but didn't get it unfortunately)

I feel the research experience and international experience would be invaluable when applying to grad school, but is it really worth it for me to delay graduation by a year? The way I think of is that one more year doing my undergrad is one less year I will be getting paid in the future. Thoughts anyone?

Physics news on Phys.org
Considering you said you would love to do it, I would say very confidently it is worth it.

Related to Is an extra year of undergraduate doing research abroad worth it?

1. Is an extra year of undergraduate doing research abroad worth it?

The answer to this question depends on individual circumstances and goals. However, studying and conducting research abroad can have numerous benefits, such as gaining international experience, building a global network, and learning new skills. It can also enhance your resume and make you a more competitive candidate for graduate programs or jobs.

2. Will studying and conducting research abroad delay my graduation?

It is possible that studying and conducting research abroad may delay your graduation, as it may require you to take additional courses or extend your program. However, the skills and experience gained during this extra year may outweigh the delay in graduation.

3. Can I receive funding for an extra year of undergraduate research abroad?

There are various funding opportunities available for students to study and conduct research abroad, such as scholarships, grants, and fellowships. It is important to research and apply for these opportunities early on to increase your chances of receiving funding.

4. What are some potential challenges of studying and conducting research abroad?

Studying and conducting research abroad can present various challenges, such as cultural and language barriers, homesickness, and adjusting to a new academic system. However, these challenges can also lead to personal growth and development, as well as the development of adaptability and resilience skills.

5. How can I make the most out of my extra year of undergraduate research abroad?

To make the most out of your extra year of undergraduate research abroad, it is important to be proactive and take advantage of all opportunities. This can include networking with professors and fellow students, immersing yourself in the local culture, and actively engaging in research projects. It is also important to keep an open mind and be willing to learn and grow from the experience.