Is an Image Still Inverted with a Larger Pinhole?

In summary, when writing your lab report on the pinhole camera, be sure to include a background section that discusses the relevant physics behind the experiment, including the concept of light refraction and reflection, the workings of a pinhole camera, and how changing the distance between the camera and light source affects the image characteristics.
asadc12
writing a lab report on the pinhole camera
tonight (if you have any tips please add them), but I'm confused about some things.
For one, I've learned that the image projected is always inverted when projected through a hole, aperture, or window. I can see how this works when the pinhole is smaller than the object, but when the pinhole is larger than the object whose image is projected, is the image still inverted, and if so why?

my next question:
so the lab question/observation my lab report is centered around is, "Will the image characteristics change or remain constant if the distance between the camera and the light source is changed."

Hypothesis: "I believe the image characteristics will change because changing the camera's position will cause light rays to enter the can at different angles and therefore change where the light rays are incident on the screen.

Now here's where my problem is. My teacher is telling me to write a background section. He writes, "The background section describes the physics being studied in the context of the experiment." What does he mean by this, especially when the lab question I'm trying to answer IS the means to find out what physics are being studied? I mean, obviously in my conclusion I'm going to state my findings in terms of the physics i learned, but what information do i put in my background that won't render the whole experiment useless (because the physics being studied is the answer to the lab question in the first place, rendering it useless)

any thoughtful help is much appreciated, thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
.The background section of your lab report should provide a discussion on the relevant physics behind the experiment. This could include information about how light is refracted and reflected off surfaces, how light travels in straight lines, and how it is bent by a curved surface. You could also discuss the concept of the pinhole camera and the fact that the image is inverted when projected through a hole, aperture, or window. Finally, you can explain why the image characteristics change when the distance between the camera and the light source is changed - this is because the angle at which the light enters the pinhole camera is different, and thus the image that is projected onto the screen will be different.

Related to Is an Image Still Inverted with a Larger Pinhole?

1. How does light passing through a hole become inverted?

When light passes through a small hole, it diffracts or spreads out. This causes the light rays to cross over each other, resulting in an inverted image.

2. Is the inversion of light through a hole always perfect?

No, the inversion is not always perfect. Factors such as the size of the hole and the distance between the hole and the surface where the image is formed can affect the level of inversion.

3. Can light passing through a hole be inverted without a lens?

Yes, light can be inverted without a lens by simply passing through a small enough hole. The smaller the hole, the greater the diffraction and the stronger the inversion of the image.

4. Why does light passing through a hole appear to be upside down?

The inversion of light through a hole is a result of the way light waves interact with each other when passing through a confined space. The overlapping of the light rays creates an inverted image on the surface where the light is projected.

5. How does the size of the hole affect the inversion of light?

The size of the hole determines the amount of diffraction and therefore affects the level of inversion of the light passing through it. A smaller hole will result in a stronger inversion, while a larger hole will have less of an effect on the light's direction.

Back