Is an isometry always a bijection?

• Thread starter 3029298
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Isometry
In summary, an isometry is a function from the plane to itself that preserves the distance between any two points. It has been proven that an isometry must be a bijection by showing that it is both injective and surjective. It can be shown that an isometry preserves other properties, such as triangles remaining triangles, which can help in proving its surjectivity.
A function from the plane to itself which preserves the distance between any two points is called an isometry. Prove that an isometry must be a bijection.

To prove that an isometry is injective is easy:
For an isometry: [tex]||f(x)-f(y)||=||x-y||[/tex]
If [tex]x\neq y[/tex] then [tex]||x-y||>0[/tex] and therefore [tex]||f(x)-f(y)||>0[/tex] and [tex]f(x)\neq f(y)[/tex].
But to prove that an isometry is surjective... how should I do that?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Have you thought about what all this means in terms of high-school Euclidean geometry?

Well, I tried to make some drawings in the plane, but they do not seem to lead to a solution...

Well, at least have you found other things that must be preserved by an isometry?

Well, if you have three points with [tex]||f(x)-f(y)||=||f(y)-f(z)||=||f(z)-f(x)||[/tex] this is also true for [tex]||x-y||=||y-z||=||z-x||[/tex]. This means that a triangle remains a triangle. But I do not know what first step I have to see to do the proof...

Is there anyone who can help me on this?

Consider the tiling of the plane by regular triangles with all edges 1. What does your isometry do to its vertices? Once you know that, consider a general point (it is in one of those triangles) and see what you can say about what the isometry does to it.

FAQ: Is an isometry always a bijection?

1. Why is an isometry bijective?

An isometry is a transformation that preserves distance and angles between points. This means that each point in the original figure is mapped to a unique point in the transformed figure, and vice versa. Since every point has a unique corresponding point, an isometry is bijective.

2. How does an isometry preserve distance and angles?

An isometry preserves distance and angles by maintaining the same relative positions and orientations of points and lines in the original figure. This can be achieved through translations, rotations, reflections, and combinations of these transformations.

3. What is the difference between a bijective isometry and an injective isometry?

A bijective isometry is a transformation that is both one-to-one (injective) and onto (surjective). This means that every point in the original figure has a unique corresponding point in the transformed figure, and every point in the transformed figure has a corresponding point in the original figure. An injective isometry, on the other hand, only requires that the transformation is one-to-one, but not necessarily onto.

4. Can an isometry be non-bijective?

Yes, an isometry can be non-bijective. For example, a transformation that shifts all points in a figure by a fixed distance in one direction is an isometry, but it is not bijective because multiple points in the original figure may map to the same point in the transformed figure.

5. How is an isometry useful in mathematics?

An isometry is useful in mathematics because it allows us to study geometric properties and relationships without changing the overall shape or size of a figure. This is particularly important in fields such as geometry, topology, and differential geometry, where preserving distance and angles is crucial in understanding the structure of mathematical objects.