Is an MBA from WVU worth the opportunity cost?

• Thread starter Physics_wiz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mba
In summary: If you're thinking of going to grad school, you should do a lot of research on what would be the best option for you. Do you know how credible WVU is thought to be? I honestly think it's easy, but that's just me. If you're thinking of going to grad school, you should do a lot of research on what would be the best option for you.
Physics_wiz
I am considering getting an MBA. They have a pretty easy program here at WVU where you can get an MBA in 14 months. If I have a mechanical engineering degree (and maybe a math degree) with an MBA all from the same college, what kindda jobs will I be able to do that aren't engineering?
I looked at some financial positions and they usually require a B.S in finance or similar. Will a degree in Engineering (or Engineering + math) and an MBA substitute for the B.S in finance or accounting?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Physics_wiz said:
I am considering getting an MBA. They have a pretty easy program here at WVU where you can get an MBA in 14 months. If I have a mechanical engineering degree (and maybe a math degree) with an MBA all from the same college, what kindda jobs will I be able to do that aren't engineering?
I looked at some financial positions and they usually require a B.S in finance or similar. Will a degree in Engineering (or Engineering + math) and an MBA substitute for the B.S in finance or accounting?

How old are you?

Are you in your third year yet?

I'm 19. Next year (06/07) will be my third year in college, but I'll be done with my mechanical engineering degree after that. I'll need about 5 more classes to get a math degree and I found out that my university offers an MBA program that lasts 14 months (summer/fall/spring/summer). So here are my choices:

1. finish engineering then start with the MBA program in the summer and squeeze in the 5 math classes that I need for the degree while getting the MBA.

I can then go to grad school or go out and get a job.

2. Go to grad school or get a job right after next year without doing option 1.

The deciding factor here will be whether the MBA + math degree are worth the extra year or not. BTW, the extra year will be free (ie. I won't have to pay for tuition), but the opportunity cost of the year is deffinately worth a lot. This is why I was asking about the extra advantages of having an MBA. What kind of extra jobs will it allow me to have? I like finance, so will I be able to do any of that with just an MBA and no finance degree?

Last edited:
Physics_wiz said:
I'm 19. Next year (06/07) will be my third year in college, but I'll be done with my mechanical engineering degree after that. I'll need about 5 more classes to get a math degree and I found out that my university offers an MBA program that lasts 14 months (summer/fall/spring/summer). So here are my choices:

1. finish engineering then start with the MBA program in the summer and squeeze in the 5 math classes that I need for the degree while getting the MBA.

I can then go to grad school or go out and get a job.

2. Go to grad school or get a job right after next year without doing option 1.

The deciding factor here will be whether the MBA + math degree are worth the extra year or not. BTW, the extra year will be free (ie. I won't have to pay for tuition), but the opportunity cost of the year is deffinately worth a lot. This is why I was asking about the extra advantages of having an MBA. What kind of extra jobs will it allow me to have? I like finance, so will I be able to do any of that with just an MBA and no finance degree?

1 year is a big opportunity cost?

I never thought that was big. That's quite small for the extra you're getting.

Whether or not it will help you get a job depends on how credible your school is. If it's a school where they hand out degrees like paper with words on it, then maybe not.

JasonRox said:
1 year is a big opportunity cost?

I never thought that was big. That's quite small for the extra you're getting.

Whether or not it will help you get a job depends on how credible your school is. If it's a school where they hand out degrees like paper with words on it, then maybe not.

If I don't go to grad school and just get a job the opportunity cost will be about $60,000. If I go to grad school, it'll be even higher.

Do you know how credible WVU is thought to be? I honestly think it's easy, but that's just me.

Related to Is an MBA from WVU worth the opportunity cost?

What is an MBA?

An MBA, or Master of Business Administration, is a graduate degree that focuses on developing business and management skills. It covers a wide range of topics such as finance, marketing, operations, and leadership.

What are the benefits of getting an MBA?

Obtaining an MBA can provide several benefits, including a higher salary, increased job opportunities, and the development of valuable skills such as critical thinking, problem-solving, and leadership. It can also help individuals advance in their current career or transition to a new industry.

Do I need to have a business background to pursue an MBA?

No, an MBA is open to individuals from various educational backgrounds. While having a business background may provide a foundation for some of the coursework, many MBA programs offer foundational courses to help students from non-business backgrounds catch up.

Is it worth the time and financial investment to get an MBA?

The answer to this question depends on individual goals and circumstances. For some individuals, an MBA can significantly enhance their career opportunities and earning potential, making it a worthwhile investment. However, for others, it may not be necessary or provide a significant return on investment.

What are the differences between a traditional MBA program and an online MBA program?

Traditional MBA programs typically require students to attend classes on campus, while online MBA programs offer more flexibility and allow students to complete coursework remotely. However, online programs may not provide as many networking opportunities as traditional programs. It is essential to research and consider the pros and cons of each program before deciding which is the best fit for you.