Is an unspecified matrix invertible?

• Thread starter Chillguy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Matrix
In summary, T is a linear operator on C3 that maps the basis vectors e1, e2, and e3 to the corresponding vectors (1,0,i), (0,1,1), and (i,1,0) respectively. To determine if T is invertible, we can show that it is non-singular or onto. One approach could be to solve the matrix T, but there may be a more efficient method. It appears that T maps a 3-D space to a 2-D space, which may provide some insight into its invertibility.
Chillguy

Homework Statement

Let T be the unique linear operator on C3 for which [tex] T_{\epsilon1}=(1,0,i), T_{\epsilon2}=(0,1,1), T_{\epsilon3}=(i,1,0).
[/tex]
Is T invertible?
2. Homework Equations
If we show T is non singular or T is onto, then this would imply T is invertible.

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't really know where to start, I thought about trying to brute force solve the matrix T but I am quite sure there is a more elegant way and hoping someone can give me a kick in that direction.

Physics news on Phys.org
Assuming the scalars for this vector space are the complex numbers, I think [itex] Te_1 [/itex] is a linear combination of [itex] Te_2 [/itex] and [itex] Te_3 [/itex]. If that's correct then you can show that T maps a 3-D space to a 2-D space.

FAQ: Is an unspecified matrix invertible?

1. Is an unspecified matrix always invertible?

No, an unspecified matrix may or may not be invertible. It depends on the specific values and structure of the matrix.

2. How do you determine if an unspecified matrix is invertible?

To determine if an unspecified matrix is invertible, you can use the determinant. If the determinant is non-zero, then the matrix is invertible.

3. Can an unspecified matrix be invertible if it has zero determinant?

No, an unspecified matrix with a zero determinant is not invertible. This means that the matrix is singular and cannot be inverted.

4. Is there a way to find the inverse of an unspecified matrix?

Yes, you can find the inverse of an unspecified matrix by using the inverse matrix formula. This involves finding the determinant, adjugate matrix, and dividing by the determinant.

5. What happens if you try to invert an unspecified matrix that is not invertible?

If you try to invert an unspecified matrix that is not invertible, you will get an error or undefined result. It is not possible to find the inverse of a non-invertible matrix.