Is anyone familiar with REDUCE ?

• Thread starter nrqed
  • Start date
In summary, Patrick is having trouble using REDUCE for trace calculations and is wondering if he needs to load a package first. He also mentions a desire to use FeynCalc for these calculations instead, and someone else suggests trying FORM as an alternative.
nrqed
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
I am trying to use REDUCE to do trace calculations and am having a hard time. I do have Grozin's book but I find it very hard to learn from it (there is no simple example done, like Moller scattering for example). Even when I input things exactly as written in the book I get weird messages. For example when I typed ''spur f'' (where f is a certain fermion line) REDUCE does not recognize spur and asks me if I want to declare it an operator. Do I have to load some package first?

Is anyone familiar with Reduce?
For example, I would like to start by doing a simple trace, for example something as trivial as Trace((slash p1+M) slash k (slash p2 + m))

Thanks in advance

Patrick

Physics news on Phys.org
Unfortunately I cannot help you with REDUCE, but if you end up giving up on it and want to use FeynCalc instead to do your traces (and more!) I'd be more than happy to help.

FeynCalc is very easy to use too.

tldr: shameless plug for FeynCalc...

Hepth said:
Unfortunately I cannot help you with REDUCE, but if you end up giving up on it and want to use FeynCalc instead to do your traces (and more!) I'd be more than happy to help.

FeynCalc is very easy to use too.

tldr: shameless plug for FeynCalc...

Hey, thanks for the reply! I wish I could use FeynCalc, indeed. But I work at a small college and they do not have Mathematica set up, only Maple. Is there a version of Feyncalc for Maple?

Patrick

Perhaps you want to try FORM?

FAQ: Is anyone familiar with REDUCE ?

1. What is REDUCE and what is it used for?

REDUCE is a computer algebra system used for symbolic mathematical calculations. It is often used in fields such as physics, engineering, and mathematics for tasks such as solving equations, simplifying expressions, and performing mathematical proofs.

2. Is REDUCE a free software?

Yes, REDUCE is an open-source software released under the GNU General Public License. This means it is free to use, modify, and distribute.

3. Can REDUCE be used on different operating systems?

Yes, REDUCE is compatible with various operating systems including Windows, Mac OS, and Linux. It also has versions available for different hardware architectures.

4. Are there any tutorials or documentation available for REDUCE?

Yes, there are various tutorials, manuals, and documentation available for REDUCE. These can be found on the official website or through online resources.

5. How does REDUCE compare to other computer algebra systems?

REDUCE is a well-established computer algebra system and is widely used in academic and research settings. It is known for its efficiency and powerful capabilities in symbolic computation. However, its interface and syntax may differ from other systems, so it is recommended to consult documentation when switching between systems.