Is AP French Necessary for Understanding Morin's Mechanics Book?

• Relativity
  • Thread starter RubinLicht
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ap Morin
In summary, the conversation is about the Morin mechanics book and whether or not it is necessary to read it if the person already has AP French's book. The person asking has taken AP Physics 1 and C and has some exposure to classical mechanics. They are planning to use Morin for physics Olympiad prep. It is clarified that the book being referred to is AP French's book on special relativity, while Morin covers general mechanics. The series is considered well written but outdated.
RubinLicht
I'm planning to do Morins mechanics book either way, so I'd like to know if I'll be missing out on anything if I do not do the book by ap french.

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you had an introductory mechanics course before? Or would Morin be your first exposure?

I haven't worked through it myself, but according to many people Morin is a notoriously challenging book. It also contains more advanced material than AP French's book, such as Lagrangian/Hamiltonian mechanics.

Mondayman said:
Have you had an introductory mechanics course before? Or would Morin be your first exposure?

I haven't worked through it myself, but according to many people Morin is a notoriously challenging book. It also contains more advanced material than AP French's book, such as Lagrangian/Hamiltonian mechanics.
I'll be my third exposure (although my first two were far from complete) I've taken ap physics 1 and C, and did most of the classical mechanics chapters in kleppner other than the second angular momentum chapter, so I should be good enough to go into Morin. I'm doing this for physics Olympiad prep.

Just in case it's not clear, I'm referring to ap French's book that focuses completely on special relativity, Morin is a general mechanics book that goes through all the topics.

Oh okay, I thought you meant Newtonian Mechanics. While I have his book on SR, I couldn't comment on how good it is. I bought the entire series at a garage sale for 50 bucks, but I'm not at that level.

From my understanding, the series is well written, but somewhat outdated. I don't think it would hurt to have the SR book on hand though.

Related to Is AP French Necessary for Understanding Morin's Mechanics Book?

1. What is the difference between AP French and Chapter in Morin?

AP French is a standardized test that assesses a student's proficiency in the French language, while Chapter in Morin is a specific chapter in a textbook that covers a specific topic within the French language.

2. Which one is more beneficial for learning French?

Both AP French and Chapter in Morin can be beneficial for learning French. AP French provides a comprehensive assessment of a student's overall proficiency in the language, while Chapter in Morin allows for a more focused study of a specific topic within French.

3. Can one replace the other?

No, AP French and Chapter in Morin serve different purposes and cannot replace each other. AP French is a standardized test that cannot be substituted for a chapter in a textbook, and vice versa.

4. Are there any prerequisites for taking AP French or studying Chapter in Morin?

There are no official prerequisites for taking AP French, but it is recommended that students have a strong foundation in the French language. As for studying Chapter in Morin, it is best to have a basic understanding of the French language before delving into specific topics.

5. How can I prepare for both AP French and Chapter in Morin?

To prepare for AP French, it is recommended to practice speaking, listening, reading, and writing in French regularly. For Chapter in Morin, it is best to review the specific vocabulary and grammar covered in the chapter and practice using them in conversations or written exercises.