Is "applausive" implied terminology?

• Thread starter sbrothy
  • Start date
sbrothy
Gold Member
Reading, or rather skimming, this paper: From new thermodynamics to classical mechanics the word applausive is both new to me and used in a manner which puzzles me:

[...] It indicates that Eq. 20 is applausive in the microscopic world. [...]

-------

Predicting results are applausive.

-------

I normally consider myself "good" at English (at least relatively - I may be a medium-sized fish in a small pond here) but the meaning of this one escapes me. The closest I can get using Merriam-Webster is "obsolete". Is that it, or is this some sort of implied terminology I probably wont understand?

EDIT: It's used in the synopsis.

Science news on Phys.org
sbrothy said:
Reading, or rather skimming, this paper: From new thermodynamics to classical mechanics the word applausive is both new to me and used in a manner which puzzles me:

[...] It indicates that Eq. 20 is applausive in the microscopic world. [...]

-------

Predicting results are applausive.

-------

I normally consider myself "good" at English (at least relatively - I may be a medium-sized fish in a small pond here) but the meaning of this one escapes me. The closest I can get using Merriam-Webster is "obsolete". Is that it, or is this some sort of implied terminology I probably wont understand?

EDIT: It's used in the synopsis.
I have never heard of this word. It seems to exist, but it is an adjective form of applause, whoch makes zero sense in this context.

I would bet money that it is a typo from some helpful auto-correct device of the author. My guess is that it choked on a misspelling of "applicable" or similar word and just did its best.

I see the paper is recent (i.e. submitted just days ago) so I fjnd it quite plausible, based on my own experience, that it is victim of a dramatic increase in aggressive auto-correct bots - not just on mobile devices - but on computers (more specifically the applications used to author documents).

Likes sbrothy
That makes sense. Thank you.

sbrothy said:
That makes sense. Thank you.
OK but it's a guess. Don't take my word on it.

Another possibility is that the original document has been translated from some other language and the translation software botched it.

Yeah, it's gotta be something like that. I was totally confused. Or at least more confused than I usually am. :)