Is Associativity a Required Property for Groups to Be Defined?

In summary: No. You have shown that associativity will hold as a consequence of the other properties for some elements of G, but in order to be a group, associativity must hold for all elements of G. If I can find any g1, g2, g3 for which g_h \ne g_i, then G is not a group.
ChrisVer
Gold Member
I was wondering, if we take a "group" [itex]G[/itex] (so multiplication is defined among the elements) it forms a group if it has the following properties:
Closure
Contains the identity element
Contains the inverse elements
follows associativity.

I was wondering if associativity is not a must though... like it can be contained in the previous properties.

Take for example [itex] g_1, g_2, g_3 \in G[/itex], then:
[itex]g_1 g_2 g_3 = g \in G [/itex] (closure).

Let's take the :

[itex]g_1 (g_2 g_3) = g_1 g_k = g_h [/itex]
and
[itex](g_1 g_2) g_3 = g_m g_3 = g_i [/itex]
associativity holds if [itex]g_h = g_i [/itex] or doesn't if [itex]g_h \ne g_i [/itex]. Let's take the last assumption, that is [itex]g_h \ne g_i [/itex]
Since the elements [itex]g_{1,2,3}[/itex] are taken arbitrarily, I can take [itex]g_{2}=g_{3}^{-1} [/itex] as well as [itex]g_1=e[/itex]. If I do that, I'm getting that [itex]g_i =g_h[/itex] which is a contradiction.

Is that a correct thinking?

Physics news on Phys.org
ChrisVer said:
I was wondering, if we take a "group" [itex]G[/itex] (so multiplication is defined among the elements) it forms a group if it has the following properties:
Closure
Contains the identity element
Contains the inverse elements
follows associativity.

I was wondering if associativity is not a must though... like it can be contained in the previous properties.

Take for example [itex] g_1, g_2, g_3 \in G[/itex], then:
[itex]g_1 g_2 g_3 = g \in G [/itex] (closure).

Let's take the :

[itex]g_1 (g_2 g_3) = g_1 g_k = g_h [/itex]
and
[itex](g_1 g_2) g_3 = g_m g_3 = g_i [/itex]
associativity holds if [itex]g_h = g_i [/itex] or doesn't if [itex]g_h \ne g_i [/itex]. Let's take the last assumption, that is [itex]g_h \ne g_i [/itex]
Since the elements [itex]g_{1,2,3}[/itex] are taken arbitrarily, I can take [itex]g_{2}=g_{3}^{-1} [/itex] as well as [itex]g_1=e[/itex]. If I do that, I'm getting that [itex]g_i =g_h[/itex] which is a contradiction.

Is that a correct thinking?
No. You have shown that associativity will hold as a consequence of the other properties for some elements of G, but in order to be a group, associativity must hold for all elements of G. If I can find any g1, g2, g3 for which [itex]g_h \ne g_i[/itex], then G is not a group.

A set with a binary operation which has an identity element and inverse elements needs not be associative. As an example, consider the set {1,a,b} with the following composition table for the binary operation:

* | 1 a b
1 | 1 a b
a | a 1 b
b | b b 1

1 is the identity element, 1-1=1, a-1=a, b-1=b, but associativity doesn't hold, since e.g. a(bb)=a1=a but (ab)b=bb=1.

ChrisVer said:
Since the elements [itex]g_{1,2,3}[/itex] are taken arbitrarily,

The notation for the elements is arbitrary, but if you say that a product involving [itex] g_1,g_2,g_3 [/itex] can represent an arbitrary product of 3 elements in the group then the assumption [itex] (g_1)(g_2 g_3) \ne (g_1 g_2) g_3 [/itex] becomes a claim about each combination of 3 elements in the group. For an indirect proof, you would only be allowed the assumption that there exist 3 elements whose multiplication is not associative - rather than the assumption that each set of 3 elements has a multiplication that is non-associative.

Related to Is Associativity a Required Property for Groups to Be Defined?

What is a group definition?

A group definition is a set of criteria or characteristics used to identify and classify members of a specific group. It helps to determine who belongs in the group and who does not.

Why is defining a group important?

Defining a group is important because it helps to establish clear boundaries and expectations for members. It also allows for better understanding and communication within the group.

What are some common checks used to define a group?

Some common checks used to define a group include shared beliefs, values, goals, interests, and behaviors. These can vary depending on the purpose of the group.

How do group definitions impact group dynamics?

Group definitions can greatly impact group dynamics by determining who is included in the group and who is excluded. This can affect the group's cohesion, communication, and overall effectiveness.

Can group definitions change over time?

Yes, group definitions can change over time as the group evolves and its members change. It is important for group leaders to regularly revisit and reassess the group's definition to ensure it aligns with the group's current goals and dynamics.