Is Atlantis Real? Scientist Claims to Have Found Evidence in Southern Spain

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
  • Tags
In summary: Many original "thinkers" have proposed that Atlantis was located quite some distance up the Amazon river.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
A scientist says he may have found remains of the lost city of Atlantis.
Satellite photos of southern Spain reveal features on the ground appearing to match descriptions made by Greek scholar Plato of the fabled utopia.

Dr Rainer Kuehne thinks the "island" of Atlantis simply referred to a region of the southern Spanish coast destroyed by a flood between 800 BC and 500 BC.

The research has been reported as an ongoing project in the online edition of the journal Antiquity. [continued]

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/3766863.stm

Physics news on Phys.org
500-800 BC? Weren't there already legends growing old by then?

I always assumed Atlantis just referred to the Minoan civilization on Crete.

Njorl

Nope,

the only record we have of Atlantis is from a single written document by Plato (427-347 BCE)

enigma said:
Nope,

the only record we have of Atlantis is from a single written document by Plato (427-347 BCE)

True enough, but hasn't the standard "explanation" of the Atlantis myth been the well-documented volcanic (mega-) eruption on Thera, some 500 years earlier, in Mycaenean times?

I think it was rather strange that the article didn't mention this "explanation"

The remains of Atlantis seem to be found about once every six months.

I can't see the concentric rings they claim are there at all. I see some graphic rings superimposed on a satellite photo, but no hint at all of rings in the actual land formation. Did anyone else see what looked like rings?

Each claim I have read about Atlantis being found requires straying in some important way from the story for the claim to be true. This one excuses the site from having to be an island.

Touché, zoobyshoe!

The most "interesting" identification of Atlantis to date remains however,IMHO, as the precursor of the Swedish town Uppsala.
The guy who proposed this theory (after 40 years of intense studies) lived in the 17th century.
I will not, however, disclose his nationality, since neighbours should not defame each other :smile:

arildno said:
The most "interesting" identification of Atlantis to date remains however,IMHO, as the precursor of the Swedish town Uppsala.
After the coast of Spain, Sweden would have been my next guess, yes.

Actually, there was a guy on TV last year who was convinced that Atlantis had been located quite some distance up the Amazon river. I'm not joking, he had all his reasons worked out.

zoobyshoe said:
... I'm not joking, he had all his reasons worked out.

Many original "thinkers" have..
They belong to a particularly tiresome sub-species of cranks.

Related to Is Atlantis Real? Scientist Claims to Have Found Evidence in Southern Spain

What is the BBC report about "Atlantis Found"?

The BBC report is about a team of scientists who claim to have found the lost city of Atlantis in the Mediterranean Sea.

Where is Atlantis supposedly located according to the BBC report?

According to the BBC report, Atlantis is located in the Mediterranean Sea, specifically near the coast of Cyprus and Syria.

What evidence did the team of scientists present to support their claim of finding Atlantis?

The team of scientists presented satellite images and underwater surveys showing what they believe to be the remains of man-made structures in the Mediterranean Sea.

How does this discovery challenge the popular belief that Atlantis is located in the Atlantic Ocean?

This discovery challenges the popular belief that Atlantis is located in the Atlantic Ocean because the team of scientists claim to have found evidence of a lost city in a completely different location than previously thought.

What are some of the theories surrounding the disappearance of Atlantis?

Some theories surrounding the disappearance of Atlantis include natural disasters such as earthquakes and floods, as well as the city being destroyed by the gods due to its people's hubris and corruption.