Is Back EMF Always Equal to Battery EMF in Inductive Circuits?

In summary, the coil of inductance 0.5 H connected to a 18V battery will result in a rate of growth of current of 36 A/s, assuming ideal conditions. The back emf generated by the battery is equal to the battery potential and there will be no steady state for this circuit. The back emf is a constant and is equal to the battery voltage.
harsh95

Homework Statement

A coil of inductance 0.5 H is connected to a 18V battery. Calculate the rate of growth of current?

Homework Equations

E=-L(dI/dt)

The Attempt at a Solution

Actually I have the solution but the problem is that in the book they have assumed that the back emf that would develop due to increasing current would be the same as emf of the battery? i.e its written as dI/dt=E/L=18/0.5= 36 A/s
How is it possible? Or am I thinking wrong

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
harsh95 said:

Homework Statement

A coil of inductance 0.5 H is connected to a 18V battery. Calculate the rate of growth of current?

Homework Equations

E=-L(dI/dt)

The Attempt at a Solution

Actually I have the solution but the problem is that in the book they have assumed that the back emf that would develop due to increasing current would be the same as emf of the battery? i.e its written as dI/dt=E/L=18/0.5= 36 A/s
How is it possible? Or am I thinking wrong

The potential across the coil cannot be anything else but the same as that of the battery, assuming an ideal coil and battery. An ideal voltage source will produce ANY amount of current required to maintain its constant potential difference.

But I don't understand why the back emf generated by 18V i.e same as the battery.
We say that inductur has no resistance of itself. Then there is no potential drop when the current is steady
And when the current is changing then EMF is induced which is opposes the cause that produces it . And in the formula E=-LdI/dt, the E is the back emf right? And not the battery potential?

harsh95 said:
But I don't understand why the back emf generated by 18V i.e same as the battery.
We say that inductur has no resistance of itself. Then there is no potential drop when the current is steady
And when the current is changing then EMF is induced which is opposes the cause that produces it . And in the formula E=-LdI/dt, the E is the back emf right? And not the battery potential?

The current will definitely NOT be steady. There will be no steady state for this circuit since there's no resistance to limit the current.

Write the KVL loop equation for the circuit. Solve the resulting differential equation for the current. You'll see that the current increases without bound over time, but that dI/dt is a contant. Thus the back-emf is a constant, and it happens to equal the battery voltage.

?I would say that the assumption in the book is not necessarily correct. The back emf in an inductor is proportional to the rate of change of current, as given by the equation E=-L(dI/dt). However, this does not mean that the back emf will always be equal to the emf of the battery.

In this scenario, the back emf will be equal to the battery emf only when the current is increasing at a constant rate. If the current is increasing at a non-constant rate, the back emf will not be equal to the battery emf.

It is important to note that the back emf is a result of the inductor's self-inductance and the rate of change of current, while the battery emf is a constant value provided by the battery. Therefore, it is possible for the back emf to be different from the battery emf.

In conclusion, the assumption in the book may not always hold true and it is important to consider the specific conditions of the circuit when calculating the back emf and the rate of change of current.

Related to Is Back EMF Always Equal to Battery EMF in Inductive Circuits?

1. What is back EMF?

Back EMF (electromotive force) is the voltage that is generated in an inductor or a coil when the current through it changes. It is also known as the "induced EMF" because it is induced by the changing magnetic field created by the current.

2. How is back EMF different from battery EMF?

Back EMF and battery EMF are two different types of voltage. Battery EMF is the voltage that is supplied by a battery, while back EMF is the voltage that is generated in an inductor or coil due to a changing current. They have different causes and effects, but both play important roles in electrical circuits.

3. Can back EMF damage a circuit?

Yes, back EMF can potentially damage a circuit if it is not properly managed. When a circuit is turned off, the sudden change in current can cause a high back EMF, which can damage sensitive electronic components. This is why protection circuits, such as diodes, are often used to prevent damage from back EMF.

4. How is back EMF used in motors?

In motors, back EMF is used to control the speed and direction of the motor. As the motor spins, the back EMF generated in the coils opposes the applied voltage, causing the motor to slow down. This allows for precise speed control without the need for additional components. Additionally, back EMF can be used to detect faults in a motor by measuring the change in voltage.

5. How can back EMF be calculated?

Back EMF can be calculated using Faraday's law of induction, which states that the magnitude of the induced EMF is equal to the rate of change of the magnetic flux through a coil. In simpler terms, it can be calculated by multiplying the number of turns in the coil by the rate of change of the current through it.