Is Big-O Notation Symmetric for f(n) and g(n)?

In summary, the conversation discusses the proof that the notation for functions, f(n) = θ(g(n)), is symmetric, meaning that if f(n) grows at most as fast as g(n), then g(n) grows at least as fast as f(n), and vice versa. The proof involves understanding the definitions of Big-O and Big-Omega notation, and using the fact that f(n) = O(g(n)) implies g(n) = Ω(f(n)), and vice versa. The conversation also includes a small typo correction and a question about how to refer to the first part of the proof.
dba

Homework Statement

proof if f(n) = O(g(n)) then g(n) = O(f(n))

= stands for element of
c is some constant

Homework Equations

if f(n) <= c*g(n) then f(n) = O(g(n))

if g(n) <= c*f(n) then g(n) = O(f(n))

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to go from the left-hand-side(LHS) to the right-hand-side(RHS) but this did not work out
if f(n) <= c_1*g(n) then g(n) <= c_2*f(n)

LHS-> f(n) <= c_1*g(n) multiply both sides by 1/c_1
1/c_1*f(n) <= g(n)... not getting to RHS, this does not work

If anyone can give me a hint what else I could do.
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Is this homework? If so you have read it wrong because the result is not true.

mmmh. Ok the problem states:
prove that the notation is symmetric: for any function f,g,h:N→R>=0

if f(n)=θ(g(n)) then g(n) = θ(f(n))

So, I looked at the definition of Big Theta which is
if d*f(n) <= t(n) <= c*f(n) then t(n)=θ(f(n))

Thus, both conditions need to be true:
t(n) <= c*f(n) which is the definition of Big-O "if t(n) <= c*f(n) then t(n) = O(f(n))"
AND
t(n) >= d*f(n) which is the definition of Big-Omega "if t(n) >= d*f(n) then t(n) = Ω(f(n))"

So, I thought I have to proof both
if f(n)=O(g(n)) then g(n) = O(f(n)) and
if f(n)=Ω(g(n)) then g(n) = Ω(f(n))

But after reading your reply, I guess I already was wrong with this assumption

Do you have any suggestion how to start the proof for
if f(n)=θ(g(n)) then g(n) = θ(f(n)) with the definition Ω(f(n)) = O(f(n)) AND Ω(f(n))
Thank you for your reply!

Consider the intuitive meaning of big-O and big-Omega notation. f(n) = O(g(n)) means that f grows at most as fast as g (in an asymptotic sense). However obviously g can grow much faster. A simple example would be
f(n) = 0
g(n) = 1
for which f(n) = O(g(n)), but g(n) = O(f(n)). What you tried to prove could be intuitively understood as:
"if f grows at most as fast as g, then g grows at most as fast as f."
which doesn't really seem plausible.

Intuitively
[tex]f(n) = \Omega(g(n))[/tex]
means that f(n) grows at least as fast as g.

From this we may get the idea to instead prove
"if f(n) grows at most as fast as g(n), then g(n) grows at least as fast as f(n), and vice versa"
That is prove that
[tex]f(n) = O(g(n))[/tex] implies [tex]g(n) = \Omega(f(n))[/tex]
and the same thing with f and g interchanged. If you can do this, then you should be able to finish to proof of your actual exercise.

Thank you. Your explanation makes it much easier to understand. I will try to proof what you said and see what I get. :-)

Is this proof correct?

f(n)=O(g(n)) [itex]\Leftrightarrow[/itex] g(n)=Ω(f(n))
LHS → f(n)=O(g(n))→ f(n) ≤ c*g(n) → (1/c)*f(n) ≤ g(n) → g(n) ≥ (1/c)f(n) where d=1/c → g(n) = Ω(g(n)) → RHS

RHS → g(n)= Ω (f(n))→ g(n) ≥ d*f(n) →(1/d)*g(n) ≥ f(n) → f(n) ≤ (1/d)g(n) where c=1/d → f(n) = O (f(n)) → LHS

g(n)=O(f(n)) [itex]\Leftrightarrow[/itex] f(n)=Ω(g(n))
LHS → g(n)=O(f(n))→ g(n) ≤ c*f(n) → (1/c)*g(n) ≤ f(n) →f(n) ≥ (1/c)g(n) where d=1/c →f(n) = Ω(g(n)) →RHS

RHS f(n)= Ω (g(n))→f(n) ≥ d*g(n) →(1/d)*f(n) ≥ g(n) →g(n) ≤ (1/d)f(n) where c=1/d →g(n) = O (f(n)) →LHS

Yep that's fine. Though you may note that you are just doing the same thing twice with f and g interchanged so in the second part you could just refer to the first part with f and g reversed.

Also a small typo. In the third and fourth line you write
g(n) = Ω(g(n))
f(n) = O (f(n))
when you mean
g(n) = Ω(f(n))
f(n) = O (g(n))

Yes, I see it. i did write is good on my paper. soory about that.

How would I express a referal to the first part with f and g reversed. Something like:
since f(n)=O(g(n)) implies that g(n)=Ω(f(n))
we can say that g(n)=O(f(n)) implies that f(n)=Ω(g(n)) ?

Thank you very much for your help!

FAQ: Is Big-O Notation Symmetric for f(n) and g(n)?

What is Big-O notation and why is it important?

Big-O notation is a mathematical notation used to describe the complexity or runtime of an algorithm. It is important because it allows us to compare the efficiency of different algorithms and make informed decisions about which one to use for a given problem.

What is the property of Big-O notation?

The main property of Big-O notation is that it provides an upper bound on the growth rate of a function. This means that it gives us an idea of how fast the runtime of an algorithm will increase as the input size increases.

How is Big-O notation calculated?

Big-O notation is calculated by looking at the dominant term or the term with the highest degree in the function. We then drop all the constants and lower-order terms to get the simplified Big-O notation.

Can Big-O notation be used for all algorithms?

Yes, Big-O notation can be used for all algorithms. However, it is most commonly used for algorithms that involve loops or recursion.

What is the difference between Big-O notation and Big-Omega notation?

Big-O notation describes the upper bound on the growth rate of a function, while Big-Omega notation describes the lower bound. In other words, Big-Omega notation gives us an idea of the best-case scenario for the runtime of an algorithm.