Is Bohmian Mechanics Compatible with Polarisation Experiments?

In summary, according to the original poster, if you send light through a 45 degree filter (D filter), and then sent that light through another D filter, because it is now in superposition of V+H state, and according to 'Beyond Measure', light in that state (left circularly polarised) would go through the 2nd filter 100% of the time. But according to Bohm mechanics, the light be in a definite verticle or horizontal polarisation (even after going through the first D filter, thereby meaning that if it hit the 2nd D polariser, only half would go through, as expected if it were in a V or H polariser state (according to us, we expect it to be in a super
StevieTNZ
I was thinking: if you send light through a 45 degree filter (D filter), and then sent that light through another D filter, because it is now in superposition of V+H state, and according to 'Beyond Measure', light in that state (left circularly polarised) would go through the 2nd filter 100% of the time.

But according to Bohm mechanics, the light be in a definite verticle or horizontal polarisation (even after going through the first D filter, thereby meaning that if it hit the 2nd D polariser, only half would go through, as expected if it were in a V or H polariser state (according to us, we expect it to be in a superposition, but its actually in a definite state).

Now, Ken G responded and said things about additional instructions about what to do if the photon encounters filters in particular orders.

But I see no difference in a photon with instructions and a V polarisation, and a photon with just a V polarisation. Both are the same physical realities, and the 'instructed photon' should behave just like a V polarised photon, only go through half the time if it encounters a 2nd D filter.

Physics news on Phys.org
Demystifier said:
No, this is not so according to Bohm mechanics. See e.g.
http://xxx.lanl.gov/abs/quant-ph/9601013
especially Sec. 4.

Now I'm being told two different things: you say no, but two other Physics Professors tell me all physical properties of a quantum system have definite states at all times.

StevieTNZ said:
Now I'm being told two different things: you say no, but two other Physics Professors tell me all physical properties of a quantum system have definite states at all times.
I don't know who they are, but they are obviously not experts in Bohmian mechanics.

Related to Is Bohmian Mechanics Compatible with Polarisation Experiments?

1. What is Bohm Mechanics?

Bohm Mechanics, also known as the de Broglie-Bohm theory or pilot-wave theory, is an interpretation of quantum mechanics that proposes a hidden variable approach to explain the strange behaviors of quantum particles.

2. How does Bohm Mechanics differ from other interpretations of quantum mechanics?

Unlike other interpretations of quantum mechanics, Bohm Mechanics suggests that particles have a definite position and trajectory, instead of being described by a probability wave. It also introduces a guiding wave, which determines the particles' behavior.

3. What is the role of polarisation in Bohm Mechanics?

In Bohm Mechanics, polarisation refers to the orientation of a particle's spin, which can be either up or down. This spin can affect the behavior of the particle, and is considered a hidden variable in this interpretation.

4. How does Bohm Mechanics explain the phenomenon of quantum entanglement?

Bohm Mechanics proposes that particles are connected through a non-local guiding wave, which allows them to remain entangled even when separated by large distances. This interpretation also suggests that the particles have a predetermined state, which explains the apparent instantaneous communication between them.

5. What are the implications of Bohm Mechanics for our understanding of reality?

Bohm Mechanics challenges the traditional view of reality as being solely based on physical objects, as it introduces the concept of a guiding wave that influences the behavior of particles. It also raises questions about free will and determinism, as the particles' trajectories are predetermined in this interpretation.