Is Born's Rule Commutative in Quantum State Measurements?

• B
  • Thread starter etotheipi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    born's rule
In summary, the probability of measuring a state |r> given that the system is prepared in state |u> is equivalent to the probability of being prepared in state |r> and measuring state |u>, which is calculated using Born's rule as |<u|r>|2 or <u|r><r|u>. This is consistent with the interpretation that a state can be represented as a linear combination of basis vectors, where the probability of being in a particular state is the modulus square of its corresponding coefficient.
etotheipi
As far as I am aware, if a system is prepared in the state |r> and we measure some observable, the probability of the result of the measurement being the eigenvalue of some eigenvector |u> representing some other state is |<r|u>|2 or <r|u><u|r>.

On a slightly different note, I also know that a state can be represented in terms of basis vectors e.g. |r> = x|u> + y|d>. I have learned that an interpretation of this expression is that if the system is prepared in this state |r>, the probability of being in either the state |u> or |d> is the modulus square of their corresponding coefficients, where, for example, the coefficient of |u> may be expressed as <u|r>. This is consistent with the first paragraph.

However, if we now want to compute the probability that the system takes the state |r> given that it is prepared in the |u> state, according to Born's rule this is simply |<u|r>|2, or <u|r><r|u>, which is identical to the previous probability.

Would I then be right in saying that if some state |r> can be written as a linear combination of basis vectors as in

|r> = x|u> + y|d>

that the probability of measuring |r> given the system is prepared in the state |u> is identical to that of being prepared in the state |r> and measuring |u>, namely the modulus square of the coefficient which is in this case x? This appears to make physical sense in the example of spin just due to the symmetry of the two situations, but I just want to make sure my reasoning is correct. Thanks a bunch in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes.

Likes vanhees71, Michael Price and etotheipi

Related to Is Born's Rule Commutative in Quantum State Measurements?

What is Born's rule?

Born's rule is a fundamental principle in quantum mechanics that describes how the probability of obtaining a particular measurement result is related to the state of a quantum system.

What does it mean for Born's rule to be commutative?

Commutativity of Born's rule means that the order in which measurements are performed on a quantum system does not affect the overall probability of obtaining a particular result. In other words, the probability of obtaining a specific measurement result is the same regardless of the order in which the measurements are performed.

Why is the commutativity of Born's rule important?

The commutativity of Born's rule is important because it allows for the prediction and interpretation of measurement outcomes in quantum systems. It also helps to establish the consistency and reliability of quantum mechanics as a theory.

Is the commutativity of Born's rule always true?

Yes, the commutativity of Born's rule is a fundamental principle in quantum mechanics and has been experimentally verified numerous times. However, there are certain situations, such as in the presence of strong external forces, where it may not hold true.

What are some real-world applications of the commutativity of Born's rule?

The commutativity of Born's rule has many practical applications, such as in the development of quantum computing and cryptography technologies. It also plays a crucial role in understanding and predicting the behavior of subatomic particles in fields such as particle physics and chemistry.