Is BPA in Paper a Cause for Concern?

• Thread starter Guy passing by
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Papers
In summary, the conversation reveals concerns about BPA being found in a wide variety of papers and its potential effects as an estrogen mimicker. The individual is worried about avoiding paper and industrialized food due to exposure to BPA and soy protein, which also mimics estrogen. However, experts claim that the levels of BPA found in paper products are not harmful and do not raise safety concerns. The individual has been diagnosed with OCD and may benefit from seeking counseling to manage their fears.
Guy passing by
I was reading some studies that found bpa in a great variety of papers. It is scaring me. I already don't use unknown plastics, PVC and polycarbonate plastics. I don't eat anything from cans. Now I am thinking in I how can avoid paper. Those estrogens are everywhere ! And there is the soy. Soy protein is everywhere. I almost don't eat industrialized food anymore, just after checking the ingredients and being sure there is no soy protein there. There is estrogens in our industrialized milk, I don't drink milk too. Everythin was ok , but now that I know there is bpa in most papers I will have some big trouble thinking how to live without paper. And I am a engineer student, so it is hard to avoid paper.

Physics news on Phys.org
What's wrong with soy proteins and estrogens?

Soy proteins mimics estrogens, just like bpa.

What's BPA and why do you want to avoid it?

Guy passing by said:
Soy proteins mimics estrogens, just like bpa.

And estrogens are bad because...

There is nothing to worry about. BPA is used in thermal paper. Through recycling, some BPA can get into other paper products, but it's not at levels that will hurt you.

Experts say such studies are suggestive, but not conclusive. And they insist that there's no danger from BPA in paper.

"These are trivial exposures," far below the tolerable safe levels of BPA set by the Environmental Protection Agency, says John Heinze, PhD, executive director of the Environmental Health Research Foundation in Chantilly, Va., a nonprofit organization that does research for the American Chemistry Council, an industry group. "They don't really raise any concerns for safety. That's really what their data show."

http://www.webmd.com/cancer/news/20111202/study-bpa-is-in-wide-variety-of-paper-products

Evo said:
There is nothing to worry about. BPA is used in thermal paper. Through recycling, some BPA can get into other paper products, but it's not at levels that will hurt you.
http://www.webmd.com/cancer/news/20111202/study-bpa-is-in-wide-variety-of-paper-products

May I suggest, guy, that with your level of fear, that you seek counseling from a psychologist or psychiatrist. They may be able to help you put your fears in perspective.

Thanks. I an aware now most of bpa is in thermal and recycled papers. About my excessive worries, I already have been diagnosed with OCD. Thanks for the help !

Guy passing by said:
Thanks. I an aware now most of bpa is in thermal and recycled papers. About my excessive worries, I already have been diagnosed with OCD. Thanks for the help !
Many members have OCD, so you'll fit right in! I'm glad we could help.

Evo said:
Many members have OCD, so you'll fit right in! I'm glad we could help.
For me, not only OCD but years putting it to use with a lot more dangerous endeavors than BPA exposure. I've probably inhaled, eat, and otherwise absorbed more carcinogenic agents in the workplace in a day than I could ever dream of getting if I eat all the food wrappings I'll get for the rest of my life. Just sayin'

FAQ: Is BPA in Paper a Cause for Concern?

1. What is BPA and why should I be worried about it in papers?

BPA, or bisphenol A, is a chemical commonly used in the production of plastics and resins. It has been linked to potential health risks, such as disrupting hormone levels and increasing the risk of certain types of cancer. BPA can be found in many everyday items, including paper products like receipts and food packaging.

2. How does BPA get into paper products?

BPA is often used as a coating on paper products to make them more durable and resistant to water and grease. This coating can transfer onto our skin or be ingested if we touch or handle paper products, such as receipts or food containers, and then touch our mouth or food.

3. How can I protect myself from BPA exposure from paper products?

One way to protect yourself is to limit your use and handling of paper products, especially those that are coated or come into contact with food. You can also opt for BPA-free paper products or use digital receipts instead of paper ones. Additionally, washing your hands after handling receipts or other paper products can help reduce exposure.

4. Are there any regulations or guidelines for BPA in paper products?

The US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has banned the use of BPA in baby bottles, sippy cups, and infant formula packaging. However, there are currently no regulations on the use of BPA in other paper products. Some companies have voluntarily moved away from using BPA in their products, but it is still widely used in the industry.

5. What are some potential health effects of BPA exposure from paper products?

Research on the health effects of BPA exposure is ongoing, but some studies have linked it to increased risk of hormone-related cancers, reproductive issues, and developmental problems. BPA has also been shown to disrupt the endocrine system and potentially contribute to other health issues such as obesity and diabetes.