Is Centripetal Acceleration Noticeable When Running in a Circle?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of centripetal acceleration and whether it is perceptible while running at a speed of 4.5 m/s around a circle with a diameter of 12m. The equation for calculating centripetal acceleration is mentioned, and the speaker states that they are unsure of what it means for the acceleration to be perceptible. The concept is then explained as the force that is felt in the opposite direction of the center of the circle, similar to the feeling of being pushed while driving in a roundabout. Therefore, the answer is that the centripetal acceleration is indeed perceptible in this scenario.
chimpfunkz

Homework Statement

You are running at 4.5 m/s around a circle 12m in diameter. Is the centripital acceleration perceptible?

Homework Equations

a=v^2/r

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that the centripital acceleration is 1.7m/s^2 (4.5^2/12). What I don't know is what it means for centripital acceleration to be perceptible. Can anyone help me/ explain what this means?

Physics news on Phys.org
Ey yo, waddap.

I'm not a native English speaker, and I'm learning physics in my own language, so the question is unfamiliar to me, BUT I think I can help.

Perceptible.. To be perceived, experienced, felt.

Do you feel the acceleration? Yeah, you sure do. The acceleration vector in circle motion, as long as the orbital acceleration is constant, which it is in your case, points towards the center of the circle. So the object (you) will feel it pushing you the other way, I.E. 180 degrees from the center of the circle. Much as when you're driving in a roundabout. Yeah, the centripetal acceleration is perceptible.

That's my interpretation of the question.

Related to Is Centripetal Acceleration Noticeable When Running in a Circle?

What is centripetal acceleration?

Centripetal acceleration is the acceleration experienced by an object moving in a circular path. It is always directed towards the center of the circle and its magnitude depends on the speed of the object and the radius of the circle.

What causes centripetal acceleration?

Centripetal acceleration is caused by a force called centripetal force. This force is responsible for pulling an object towards the center of the circle and keeping it in its circular path. It can be provided by various sources such as tension, gravity, or friction.

How is centripetal acceleration calculated?

The formula for calculating centripetal acceleration is a = v²/r, where a is the centripetal acceleration, v is the speed of the object, and r is the radius of the circle. This formula can also be written as a = ω²r, where ω is the angular velocity of the object.

What is the difference between centripetal acceleration and centrifugal force?

Centripetal acceleration is the acceleration towards the center of the circle, while centrifugal force is the apparent outward force experienced by an object moving in a circular path. Centrifugal force is not a real force, it is a result of the inertia of the object trying to keep it moving in a straight line.

What are some real-life examples of centripetal acceleration?

Some common examples of centripetal acceleration are the motion of a satellite around the Earth, the rotation of a Ferris wheel, and the movement of a car around a curved track. It can also be observed in the circular motion of planets around the sun and the rotation of the Earth on its axis.