Is CERN shutting its Higgs Program?

In summary, the conversation discusses a speculative post about the closure of all Higgs and Supersymmetry related programs at CERN by spring 2012. However, it is clarified that there is only a planned shutdown to upgrade the beam energy in 2012 and the LHC run has actually been extended until mid 2012 to continue the search for Higgs. The shutdown will last through 2013 and there may be some improvements during 2012, but these have not been decided yet.
pessimist
This is an extremely speculative post. I came to know through a friend of mine, that his professor told him that CERN is going to announce by spring 2012 the closure of all Higgs and Supersymmetry related programs. I do not have any citation for this claim. More knowledgeable people can tell me if this is a true rumor.

~~

Physics news on Phys.org
pessimist said:
This is an extremely speculative post. I came to know through a friend of mine, that his professor told him that CERN is going to announce by spring 2012 the closure of all Higgs and Supersymmetry related programs. I do not have any citation for this claim. More knowledgeable people can tell me if this is a true rumor.

~~

Some time, it is possible for news to get twisted around into an unrecognizable form from the original.

There is a PLANNED shutdown to upgrade the beam energy to the nominal value in 2012. It is NOT the "... closure of all Higgs and Supersymmetry .. " program. That would be utterly silly since you might as well shut down the collider for good.

Zz.

CERN anyways extended the LHC run to search for Higgs to mid 2012, so curtailing it by a quarter doesn't seem nonsense to me. I may be wrong ofcourse.
http://www.redorbit.com/news/science/1987868/cern_extends_lhcs_run_until_2012/index.html

ZapperZ said:
Some time, it is possible for news to get twisted around into an unrecognizable form from the original.

There is a PLANNED shutdown to upgrade the beam energy to the nominal value in 2012. It is NOT the "... closure of all Higgs and Supersymmetry .. " program. That would be utterly silly since you might as well shut down the collider for good.

Zz.

Thanks for the info.

CERN anyways extended the LHC run to search for Higgs to mid 2012
The current schedule is to continue proton collisions through Oct 2012 and ion collisions during Nov 2012. The "Long Shutdown" commences Dec 2012 and will last through 2013.

Possible improvements during 2012 include a slight increase in energy to 4 TeV per beam and an increase in luminosity of about 50 percent. Neither of these issues have been decided yet.

Related to Is CERN shutting its Higgs Program?

1. What is CERN's Higgs Program?

CERN's Higgs Program is a research program that focuses on studying the Higgs boson, a fundamental particle that is responsible for giving other particles their mass.

2. Is CERN shutting down its Higgs Program?

As of now, there are no plans to completely shut down the Higgs Program. However, there have been discussions about scaling back the program in order to allocate resources to other research areas.

3. Why is there talk of scaling back the Higgs Program?

CERN is constantly evaluating and adjusting their research priorities based on the latest scientific developments and funding availability. The Higgs Program, while important, is just one aspect of CERN's overall research efforts.

4. Will this affect the search for new particles and discoveries?

Possibly. Scaling back the Higgs Program could mean that fewer resources are dedicated to searching for new particles and making groundbreaking discoveries. However, CERN is still committed to pushing the boundaries of science and will continue to pursue new discoveries through other research programs.

5. How will this impact the scientific community?

The potential scaling back of the Higgs Program may have an impact on the scientific community, as there may be fewer opportunities for researchers to work on projects related to the Higgs boson. However, this could also open up new opportunities in other research areas at CERN.