Is Cesaro-Stolz theorem applicable in this case?....

• MHB
  • Thread starter chisigma
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Theorem
In summary: O(1/n^{1+\epsilon})$ for some $\epsilon > 0$ and so $n a_n \in O(1/n^\epsilon) \to 0$ (this isn't rigorous but I think the general idea works). The Cesaro-Stolz theorem does hold in this case.
chisigma
Gold Member
MHB
Recently in the POTW 'graduate' has appeared the following interesting problem ...

Show that if $a_{n}$
is a decreasing sequence of positive real numbers such that $\displaystyle \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} a_{n}$ converges, then $\displaystyle \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} n\ a_{n} = 0$...

At first I thought is that the easiest way was to use the Cesaro-Stolz theorem , which in simplified version says ...

http://www.math.ksu.edu/~nagy/snippets/stolz-cesaro.pdf

If $b_{n}$ is a sequence of positive real numbers such that $\displaystyle \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} b_{n}$ diverges to infinity and for a sequence $a_{n}$ exists the limit $\displaystyle \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} \frac{a_{n}}{b_{n}}= l$, then is...

$\displaystyle \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} \frac{a_{1} + a_{2} + ...+ a_{n}}{b_{1} + b_{2} + ... + b_{n}} = \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} \frac{a_{n}}{b_{n}} = l\ (1)$

In particular if $\displaystyle \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} a_{n}$ converges, the is $l=0$ and setting $b_{n} = \frac{1}{n}$ we arrive directly to $\displaystyle \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} n\ a_{n} = 0$... but that is correct?... the Cesaro-Stolz theorem holds also in the case $l=0$?...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
chisigma said:
Recently in the POTW 'graduate' has appeared the following interesting problem ...

Show that if $a_{n}$
is a decreasing sequence of positive real numbers such that $\displaystyle \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} a_{n}$ converges, then $\displaystyle \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} n\ a_{n} = 0$...

At first I thought is that the easiest way was to use the Cesaro-Stolz theorem , which in simplified version says ...

http://www.math.ksu.edu/~nagy/snippets/stolz-cesaro.pdf

If $b_{n}$ is a sequence of positive real numbers such that $\displaystyle \sum_{n=1}^{\infty}$ diverges and for a sequence $a_{n}$ exists the limit $\displaystyle \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} \frac{a_{n}}{b_{n}}= l$, then is...

$\displaystyle \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} \frac{a_{1} + a_{2} + ...+ a_{n}}{b_{1} + b_{2} + ... + b_{n}} = \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} \frac{a_{n}}{b_{n}} = l\ (1)$

In particular if $\displaystyle \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} a_{n}$ converges, the is $l=0$ and setting $b_{n} = \frac{1}{n}$ we arrive directly to $\displaystyle \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} n\ a_{n} = 0$... but that is correct?... the Cesaro-Stolz theorem holds also in the case $l=0$?...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

I'm not sure that is correct. Aren't you vacuously assuming that $\lim_{n \to \infty} n a_n = 0$ already when you assume $l = 0$ to begin with? It doesn't seem like you are using the Cesaro-Stolz theorem at all here, as you are not using the equality to:
$$\displaystyle \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} \frac{a_{1} + a_{2} + ...+ a_{n}}{b_{1} + b_{2} + ... + b_{n}}$$
which is the only thing the theorem states. So the reasoning doesn't seem correct to me. I could be wrong, though. In any case, of course, you don't need such a theorem for the problem, since you can do it the way Euge shows or I believe also by comparison with the harmonic series, that is, suppose the sequence grew asymptotically as fast as or slower than $1 / n$, then the series does not converge. hence we must have $a_n \in O(1 / n^{1 + \epsilon})$ for some $\epsilon > 0$ and so $n a_n \in O(1 / n^\epsilon) \to 0$ (this isn't rigorous but I think the general idea works).​

Hi,

I also thought on it, but it's not a good idea, at least not as good as it could seem.

If $\displaystyle\sum a_{n}$ converges you have not guaranteed that $lim \dfrac{a_{n}}{b_{n}}=0$, you need to prove it, In particular if $b_{n}=\dfrac{1}{n}$ you need to prove the same statement that you are required.

Maybe this is not clearly explained but I don't know how to explain it better, I mean it's a circular argument.

What I tried it's more or less what Bacterius said, comparing it with a series of the form $\displaystyle\sum\dfrac{\epsilon}{n}$ with $\epsilon > 0$ that diverges for any $\epsilon$, but I think my fail was thinking there wasn't any convergent subseries of that

My solution, not as elegant as the neat proof given by Euge, goes back to the epsilon-N definition of convergence.

Given $\varepsilon>0$, choose $M$ so that $\sum_{n=M}^\infty a_n <\varepsilon/2$. Then choose $N>M$ so that $n>N\;\Rightarrow\; a_n < \varepsilon/(2M)$. If $n>N$ then $$\begin{aligned} na_n &= Ma_n + (n-M)a_n \\ &< Ma_n + \sum_{r=M+1}^n a_r \\ &< \varepsilon/2 + \varepsilon/2 = \varepsilon . \end{aligned}$$ Since $\varepsilon$ is arbitrary, it follows that $\lim_{n\to\infty}na_n = 0.$

I fear that my post was misinterpreted ... the problem is not privilege one solution over another in a particular problem, the problem is whether or not a theorem is applicable to that particular problem ...

I think we all agree that the theorem of Cesaro-Stolz is valid ... what I asked of you is simply if the theorem is valid also in the case, defining $\displaystyle \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} \frac {a_ {1} + a_ {2} + ... + a_ {n}} {b_ {1} + b_ {2} + ... + b_ {n}} = l$ , is $ l = 0 $ ...

The question is not irrelevant, because if the theorem is applicable to the case l = 0, then for every convergent series $\displaystyle \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} a_{n}$, You get to more stringent conclusions of the type...

$\displaystyle \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} n\ \ln n\ a_{n} = 0$

$\displaystyle \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} n\ \ln n\ \ln (\ln n)\ a_{n} = 0$

... etc...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

Looking at the problem with more attention and found this excellent work ...

https://books.google.it/books?id=YNP1fcTjtBcC&pg=PA266&lpg=PA266&dq=stolz+cesaro+proof&source=bl&ots=yEqW0FAu3R&sig=vOBbtq6doA4C813qhYj9HVRXSSo&hl=en&sa=X&ei=sxa1VOHDAof8ywOViYGgCA&ved=0CEYQ6AEwBjgK#v=onepage&q=stolz%20cesaro%20proof&f=false

Here I learned that the road from me undertaken passing through the so-called 'Reciprocal of the Cesaro Stolz lemma' that says ...

Let be $a_{n}$ and $b_{n}$ two sequences of real positive numbers such that...

a) $0 < b_{1} < b_{2} < ... < b_{n} < ...$ and $\displaystyle \lim _{n \rightarrow \infty} b_{n} = \infty$...

b) $\displaystyle \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} \frac{a_{n}}{b_{n}} = l \in \mathbb{R}$

c) $\displaystyle \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} \frac{b_{n}}{b_{n+1}} = L \in \mathbb{R}$ \ $\{1\}$...

Then the limit...

$\displaystyle \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} \frac{a_{n+1}- a_{n}}{b_{n+1}- b_{n}}$

... exists and is equal to l...

Therefore it seems to be no problem with the value of l [any real number and therefore also l = 0 ...], as with the value of L that is supposed $ L \ne 1 $ ... however the script ends with the following lines ...

Theorem B.3 shows that il limit $\displaystyle \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} \frac{b_{n}}{b_{n+1}}$ exists and it is not equal to 1, the reciprocal of Cesaro-Stolz lemma is valid. We stop our line of investigation here and invite the reader to study further the additional conditions required such that the reciprocal of the Cesaro-Stolz lemma remains valid in the trouble case $\displaystyle \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} \frac{b_{n}}{b_{n+1}}= 1$...

It seems that an extra hard work I am requested (Thinking)...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

Last edited:
chisigma said:
Looking at the problem with more attention and found this excellent work ...

https://books.google.it/books?id=YNP1fcTjtBcC&pg=PA266&lpg=PA266&dq=stolz+cesaro+proof&source=bl&ots=yEqW0FAu3R&sig=vOBbtq6doA4C813qhYj9HVRXSSo&hl=en&sa=X&ei=sxa1VOHDAof8ywOViYGgCA&ved=0CEYQ6AEwBjgK#v=onepage&q=stolz%20cesaro%20proof&f=false

Here I learned that the road from me undertaken passing through the so-called 'Reciprocal of the Cesaro Stolz lemma' that says ...

Let be $a_{n}$ and $b_{n}$ two sequences of real positive numbers such that...

a) $0 < b_{1} < b_{2} < ... < b_{n} < ...$ and $
\displaystyle \lim _{n \rightarrow \infty} b_{n} = \infty$...

b) $\displaystyle \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} \frac{a_{n}}{b_{n}} = l \in \mathbb{R}$

c) $\displaystyle \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} \frac{b_{n}}{b_{n+1}} = L \in \mathbb{R}$ \ $\{1\}$...

Then the limit...

$\displaystyle \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} \frac{a_{n+1}- a_{n}}{b_{n+1}- b_{n}}$

... exists and is equal to l...

Therefore it seems to be no problem with the value of l [any real number and therefore also l = 0 ...], as with the value of L that is supposed $ L \ne 1 $ ... however the script ends with the following lines ...

Theorem B.3 shows that il limit $\displaystyle \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} \frac{b_{n}}{b_{n+1}}$ exists and it is not equal to 1, the reciprocal of Cesaro-Stolz lemma is valid. We stop our line of investigation here and invite the reader to study further the additional conditions required such that the reciprocal of the Cesaro-Stolz lemma remains valid in the trouble case $\displaystyle \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} \frac{b_{n}}{b_{n+1}}= 1$...

It seems that an extra hard work I am requested (Thinking)...

Meeting the challenge in the general case in which it is $\displaystyle \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty } \frac{b_{n}}{b_{n+1}} = 1$ seems a very difficult task... however, as part of the original problem the following special case of the theorem of mutual Cesaro Stolz can be treated ...

Let be $a_{n}$ and $b_{n}$ two increasing sequences of real positive numbers such that...

a) $0 < b_{1} < b_{2} < ... < b_{n} < ...$,
$0 < a_{1} < a_{2} < ... < a_{n} < ...$ and $\displaystyle \lim _{n \rightarrow \infty} b_{n} = \infty$...

b) $\displaystyle \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} \frac{a_{n}}{b_{n}} = 0 $

c) $\displaystyle \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} \frac{b_{n}}{b_{n+1}} = 1$...

d) $\displaystyle \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} \frac{a_{n}}{a_{n+1}} = 1$...

e) for any n is $\displaystyle \frac{a_{n}}{a_{n+1}} \ge \frac{b_{n}}{b_{n+1}}$...

Then the limit...

... exists and is equal to 0...

The proof is comfortable and it is based on the identity...

$\displaystyle \frac{a_{n+1} - a_{n}}{b_{n+1}- b_{n}} = \frac{a_{n+1}}{b_{n+1}}\ \frac{1 - \frac{a_{n}}{a_{n+1}}}{1 - \frac{b_{n}}{b_{n+1}}}\ (1)$

If n tends to infinity, the first term of the second member of (1) tends to 0 and for the fractional term is $\displaystyle \frac{1 - \frac{a_{n}}{a_{n+1}}}{1 - \frac{b_{n}}{b_{n+1}}} \le 1$ so that the demonstration is performed...

My conclusion therefore is that the original problem theorem inverse of Cesaro Stolz, although in modified form by me in a particular case. could be applied and indeed would have led to an extension of the results ...

... of course further investigation of the case $\displaystyle \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} \frac{b_{n}}{b_{n+1}} = 1$ remains open and of gratest importance ​...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

P.S. ... of course the condition e) is not really necessary and we only need that $\displaystyle \frac{1 - \frac{a_{n}}{a_{n+1}}}{1 - \frac{b_{n}}{b_{n+1}}} $ tends for $n \rightarrow \infty$ to some finite value $\lambda$... this concept will be better explained in my next post...

Last edited:
We come now to the more general case in which it is $\displaystyle \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} \frac{a_{n}}{b_{n}} = l \ne 0$ and and we try to answer the question...

Let be $a_{n}$ and $b_{n}$ two positive real numbers sequences such that...

a) $0 < b_{1} < b_{2} < ... < b_{n} < ...$, $0 < a_{1} < a_{2} < ... < a_{n} < ...$ and $\displaystyle \lim_{ n \rightarrow \infty} b_{n} = \infty$...

b) $\displaystyle \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} \frac{a_{n}}{b_{n}} = l \ne 0$...

c) $\displaystyle \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} \frac{b_{n}}{b_{n+1}} = 1$ ...

d)
$\displaystyle \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} \frac{a_{n}}{a_{n+1}} = 1$ ...

... under what conditions is...

$\displaystyle \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} \frac{a_{n+1} - a_{n}}{b_{n+1} - b_{n}} = l$?...
Even now the answer is given by the identity...

$\displaystyle \frac{a_{n+1} - a_{n}}{b_{n+1} - b_{n}} = \frac {a_{n+1}}{b_{n+1}}\ \frac{1 - \frac{a_{n}}{a_{n+1}}}{1- \frac{b_{n}}{b_{n+1}}}\ (1)$

... if $\displaystyle \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} \frac{1 - \frac{a_{n}}{a_{n+1}}}{1- \frac{b_{n}}{b_{n+1}}} = \lambda$ then $\displaystyle \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} \frac{a_{n+1} - a_{n}}{b_{n+1} - b_{n}} = l\ \lambda$, so that the requirements are satisfied only if $\lambda = 1$ ...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$
Je suis Dieudonné! … the freedom of thought applies to all... for him too!...

Attachments

• Dieudonne.jpg
    Dieudonne.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:

FAQ: Is Cesaro-Stolz theorem applicable in this case?....

1. What is the Cesaro-Stolz theorem?

The Cesaro-Stolz theorem is a mathematical theorem that states that if a sequence of numbers is convergent, then the limit of the sequence of their averages is equal to the limit of the original sequence.

2. How is the Cesaro-Stolz theorem applicable in real life?

The theorem is applicable in many fields, such as statistics, economics, and physics. It can be used to find the limit of a series or to prove the convergence of a sequence.

3. Can the Cesaro-Stolz theorem be applied to any sequence?

No, the theorem only applies to sequences that are convergent. If a sequence is not convergent, the theorem cannot be used.

4. How can I determine if the Cesaro-Stolz theorem is applicable in a specific case?

You can determine if the theorem is applicable by checking if the sequence is convergent and if the conditions of the theorem are met. These conditions include the sequence being bounded and the limit of the sequence being finite.

5. Are there any limitations to the Cesaro-Stolz theorem?

Yes, the theorem has limitations. It can only be applied to sequences that are convergent and have finite limits. It also cannot be used for sequences that are oscillating or have infinite limits.