Is civil engineering the right career choice for me?

• Thread starter ar_anand
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Civil
In summary, the conversation discusses the daily work in the field of civil engineering and the potential dangers involved in this line of work. The individual is considering pursuing a masters in financial engineering instead due to concerns raised by their teachers. However, it is suggested that they should finish their degree in civil engineering and that there are opportunities to combine both economics and civil engineering. The scope of civil engineering also depends on the region in which one lives, with Canada being a good place for civil engineers. The conversation ends with a light-hearted comment about the assumption of the speaker's nationality.
ar_anand
I'm presently doing my second year in B.Eng civil, and I'm just curious what a day to day work is like in this field. Repetitive lecturing from teachers on how various lives are at stake in civil engineering field has me a little freaked out (case studies of past civil mistakes didn't help). So now I'm just thinking of finishing my B.Eng and doing a complete 180 to pursue a masters in financial engineering. Anyway, I'd just like to get some real feedback of people on the field.

Thanks in advance.

Engineering news on Phys.org
ar_anand said:
Repetitive lecturing from teachers on how various lives are at stake in civil engineering field has me a little freaked out (case studies of past civil mistakes didn't help).

Complete nonsense.

Of course, it is a responsible job, but you never work alone and unsupervised, specially not in the start. If you're interested in civil engineering, you should finish your degree.

Then again, if you're interested in economics, you can combine the two in a way. Civil engineering is much about buisness, too.

Scope of civil Engg..

it totally depends in which region of the world you live...

radou said:
Complete nonsense.

Of course, it is a responsible job, but you never work alone and unsupervised, specially not in the start.

Ya that's true.

DirectCurrent said:
Scope of civil Engg..

it totally depends in which region of the world you live...

I live in Montreal (Canada), most likely will continue to do so after I graduate.

Canada.. a good place for civil engineers.. Engineering is still much better than any other profession of the world.. I am doing comp system engg... Continue man...

I assumed may be you are from India.. :-)

Related to Is civil engineering the right career choice for me?

1. What is the role of a civil engineer?

A civil engineer is responsible for the design, construction, and maintenance of structures and infrastructure such as buildings, roads, bridges, and water systems. They use their knowledge of mathematics, physics, and engineering principles to ensure the safety and functionality of these structures.

2. What skills are required to become a civil engineer?

To become a civil engineer, one must have a strong background in math and science, as well as excellent problem-solving and critical thinking skills. Communication and teamwork skills are also important, as civil engineers often work with a team of professionals on construction projects.

3. What education is required to become a civil engineer?

To become a civil engineer, one must obtain a bachelor's degree in civil engineering or a related field. Some positions may require a master's degree as well. In addition, civil engineers must be licensed by the state in which they practice, which typically requires passing the Fundamentals of Engineering (FE) exam and the Principles and Practice of Engineering (PE) exam.

4. What types of projects do civil engineers work on?

Civil engineers work on a variety of projects, including the design and construction of buildings, roads, bridges, airports, water systems, and more. They may also be involved in environmental projects, such as designing systems for waste management or pollution control.

5. What are the job prospects for civil engineers?

The job outlook for civil engineers is positive, with a projected employment growth of 2% from 2019 to 2029, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics. As the population grows, there will be a demand for infrastructure improvements and new construction projects, creating opportunities for civil engineers.