Is Commuting to Grad School Worth It?

In summary, the individual has been in grad school in Worcester for a year but is planning to move away due to various reasons. They prefer city life and have found their current city to be depressing and unsafe. They have started dating someone in Boston and are considering commuting to campus from there. However, this would add 10 hours of commuting per week and cost an additional $1768 per semester. They are unsure if this sacrifice is worthwhile for their quality of living. Some suggestions included transferring to a school in Boston or working remotely, and trying out the commute before making a decision. The individual also has the option of taking the commuter rail.
etoile
Hey

I've been in grad school around Worcester for a year already, and I'm planning to move out for various reasons. The problem that bothers me is probably the opposite of what you'd expect - I am keen of moving further away from campus, maybe purely for the sake of city life.

1) I grew up in Tokyo, which is a lively, urbanized city. After that I stayed in Paris. And living here has been seriously hell. It is depressing enough to bogged with work and research, but I absolutely can't cope with the lifestyle here. I've gone to 1 restaurant, 1 supermarket, and bought everything online for a whole year. The population is so limited here, and I don't get to meet new people. And the neighborhood that I'm living in is not safe. I find myself escaping to Boston every single time I'm free. I do everything there. I can't envision myself living in this city for 3 more years. I want to at least have a home to return to, not simply have a shelter. And I absolutely love the Boston/Cambridge community.

2) I've started dating another grad student who goes to school in Boston. We're in the midst of going one step further but it can't take off with my living arrangement right now. And I face less traffic driving from Boston to here in the morning and vice versa at night.

3) I'm already paying $3000 per semester for rental. I calculated costs to come up to $4768 per semester, including petrol, toll passes and apartment rental. Let's say the weekend commutes that I already make to Boston now offset the extra mileage put on my car and inflation of petrol prices.

4) Moreover, I'm cooped up in my room on the days I'm here - and my room is extremely run down. For that $1768 per semester, I will get the benefit of a much cozier place to live at least.

So the cons are quite clear. I will need to drive 10 hours per week and I envision problems dealing with snowstorms and it costs $1768 more each semester. I thought of living halfway between Cambridge (where I'll stay) and Worcester, but I'm thinking if I'm going to commute anyway, I might as well make a full commitment to it.

I know it sounds illogical... but I feel instead that having more work now, the more I need this sort of inner peace. Ideally, living near campus would be the best, but I can hardly stand this city.

Do you think it's a worthwhile sacrifice simply to improve my quality of living? Am I not justified? Is 10 hours of commuting weekly OK for a grad student?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'd almost suggest trying to transfer to a school in Boston if at all feasible, or asking your adviser if you can do your research remotely (it possible) so that you're only really commuting into teach and go to meetings. 10hrs/wk ends up taking a toll, but if your sanity is going to slip away anyway it may make sense. Before you commit, can you do an experiment by staying at your girlfriends place (or a hotel in cambridge) and commuting for a week or two to figure out how much of a toll it's going to take on you?

I'd seriously consider transferring to a Boston school as well. Working remotely, if that's possible with your work, is a good idea as well.

Cambridge is entirely worth the commute though. The problem is you'll basically get no time to live there, as you'll be driving most of the time.

You also have the option of taking the commuter rail. It will give you time to relax/work on your commute, may be cheaper. However, you'll have to take the T at first and transfer to the commuter rail if your going to live in Cambridge and go to Worcester.

I think the train is a smart idea. Then the time commuting is not entirely wasted.

I understand your concerns about the quality of life and the impact it can have on your overall well-being while pursuing a graduate degree. It is important to weigh the pros and cons of commuting to grad school and consider how it will affect your academic and personal life.

From a practical standpoint, commuting can be a significant time and financial commitment. Driving 10 hours per week and spending an extra $1768 per semester may not seem like a lot now, but it can add up over the course of three years. Additionally, dealing with snowstorms and other potential commuting challenges can also add stress to an already demanding graduate program.

On the other hand, living in a city that you enjoy and being able to have a home to return to each day can greatly improve your overall well-being and potentially enhance your academic performance. It is also understandable that you would want to have a closer relationship with your significant other and living closer to them can help facilitate that.

Ultimately, the decision to commute or not is a personal one and it is important to prioritize what is most important to you. It may be worth considering alternative options such as finding a roommate or looking for more affordable housing options in the city. Additionally, speaking with your advisor or other graduate students who have commuted may also provide valuable insights and advice.

In the end, it is important to prioritize your mental and emotional well-being while pursuing a graduate degree. If commuting to grad school allows you to have a better quality of life, it may be worth the sacrifice. However, it is important to carefully consider all factors and make a decision that is best for you.

FAQ: Is Commuting to Grad School Worth It?

1. What is commuting to grad school?

Commuting to grad school refers to the act of traveling to and from your graduate school campus for classes or other academic activities.

2. What are the benefits of commuting to grad school?

Commuting to grad school can save you money on housing expenses, allow you to maintain a job or other responsibilities, and give you a sense of independence and responsibility.

3. How can I make my commute to grad school more efficient?

To make your commute more efficient, you can plan your schedule to avoid rush hour traffic, utilize public transportation, carpool with other students, and listen to educational podcasts or audiobooks during your commute.

4. Are there any downsides to commuting to grad school?

Some potential downsides to commuting to grad school include longer travel times, feeling disconnected from campus life and social activities, and difficulty finding a balance between school, work, and personal responsibilities.

5. How can I make the most out of my commute to grad school?

To make the most out of your commute, you can use the time to review class materials, listen to educational podcasts or audiobooks, network with other commuters, and plan ahead for the day's tasks and assignments.