Is conditional arrangement of cells in a mxn matrix unique?

In summary, the problem is to arrange cells in a mxn matrix using k distinct values (with or without repetition) in a way that satisfies the given sums of all rows and columns. The uniqueness of the arrangement and its dependency on the values of m, n, and k is not clear and requires further exploration.
Adel Makram
How many ways to arrange cells of k possible values in a mxn matrix provided that sums of all rows and columns are known?
For example, if we have a 5x3 matrix and 10 possible values ( from 0 to 9) that can be assigned for each cell, then how many ways to arrange cells in that matrix satisfying the given sums of rows and columns? Will it be a unique arrangement? And will the answer be affected by the values of m, n and k no matter how big k will be for example?

Attachments

• matrix, jpg.PNG
    matrix, jpg.PNG
    799 bytes · Views: 306
Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
I tried 2x2 matrix and I found no unique solutions to it. I fact, I tried 2xn matrices and I found no unique solutions to them ( this is probably because all 2xn matrices are still of rank 2).

But I tried few 3x3 matrices and I found that it is not easy to find a non-unique solution. This is because in all cases I have to make more than 2 random selections of values.

Last edited:
Adel Makram said:
How many ways to arrange cells of k possible values in a mxn matrix provided that sums of all rows and columns are known?

You need to state the problem clearly. What does "k possible values mean"?

Do you mean "k distinct values, some which may be repeated?" Do you mean "k non-zero values, some of which may be identical"? Are the k values given or can they be assigned arbitrarily?

Stephen Tashi said:
You need to state the problem clearly. What does "k possible values mean"?

Do you mean "k distinct values, some which may be repeated?" Do you mean "k non-zero values, some of which may be identical"? Are the k values given or can they be assigned arbitrarily?
Yes "k values" means k distinct but arbitrary values which can be repeated. For example a set of integers from zero to 9.

By the way, you are talking about "arrays", not "matrices".

Adel Makram said:
Yes "k values" means k distinct but arbitrary values which can be repeated. For example a set of integers from zero to 9.

It's not clear to me what you mean. To pose the problem, do we tell the problem solver the specific k values that must be used (such as saying they must be the set of integers from zero to 9)? Or do we allow the problem solver to pick any k distinct values that he wants to?

Either way, without considering the specific sums that are given for the rows and columns, I don't see that there is a general rule about whether a solution exists.

Stephen Tashi said:
It's not clear to me what you mean. To pose the problem, do we tell the problem solver the specific k values that must be used (such as saying they must be the set of integers from zero to 9)? Or do we allow the problem solver to pick any k distinct values that he wants to?.
The specific sums of all rows and columns is strict and must be satisfied. This is the only information available about the matrix. The solver is free to use any numbers from the set of k-values with or without repetition as he wishes as long as he satisfies the aforementioned sums.

Related to Is conditional arrangement of cells in a mxn matrix unique?

1. Is the conditional arrangement of cells in a mxn matrix always unique?

No, the conditional arrangement of cells in a mxn matrix may not always be unique. Depending on the conditions and values of the cells, there may be multiple ways to arrange them while still satisfying the conditions.

2. What factors affect the uniqueness of a conditional arrangement in a mxn matrix?

The factors that affect the uniqueness of a conditional arrangement in a mxn matrix include the number of cells, the conditions placed on the cells, and the values assigned to the cells.

3. Can a non-unique conditional arrangement in a mxn matrix still be valid?

Yes, a non-unique conditional arrangement in a mxn matrix can still be valid as long as it satisfies the given conditions. However, it may not be the most efficient or optimal arrangement.

4. How can I determine if a conditional arrangement in a mxn matrix is unique?

To determine if a conditional arrangement in a mxn matrix is unique, you can try rearranging the cells in different ways and check if they all satisfy the conditions. If there is only one way to arrange the cells, then the arrangement is unique.

5. Is there a specific method or algorithm for finding a unique conditional arrangement in a mxn matrix?

Yes, there are various methods and algorithms that can be used to find a unique conditional arrangement in a mxn matrix. Some examples include brute force search, backtracking, and dynamic programming. The most suitable method may depend on the specific conditions and values in the matrix.