Is Consulting the Right Career Path After a PhD in Mechanical Engineering?

• Thread starter Topher925
  • Start date
In summary, the individual is finishing up their PhD in Mechanical Engineering and originally planned to work in a national lab or industry in R&D, but is now considering consulting due to concerns about daily work being diluted with meetings and paperwork. They have experience in consulting and are considering pursuing a PE license later in their career. However, others suggest that consulting may not be the best option and recommend considering a small startup company. They also highlight the importance of promoting oneself and communicating with others in the business world. Additionally, obtaining a PE license requires significant hands-on experience, which may be difficult to acquire as a consultant.
Topher925
I'm finishing up my PhD in Mechanical Engineering in a field with a rather high demand for highly skilled labor. I was originally planning on working in a national lab or industry in an R&D setting as a full time engineer/researcher, but now I'm having second thoughts. I'm concerned that if I work full time at a national lab or company my daily work is going to be diluted with asinine meetings and paperwork instead of focusing on the actual research and thinking part of the job which is why I'm getting a PhD in the first place. I was thinking consulting might be a better option as my daily work tasks would be focused more on technical problem solving rather than filling out paperwork.

The question that's lingering in my mind is whether or not I could actually pull it off. I already do quite a bit of consulting work right now during my graduate studies. I'm actually working on my third consulting job this year. This is work that more or less finds me due to reputation and networking, I don't really go out looking for it. However, I'm still rather young (late 20's) and would eventually like to get my PE license as well so I may just reconsider consulting later on in my career.

So anyone have any experience or strong opinions on engineering consulting? I realize I'll never have any actual job security but will have the opportunity to make a higher salary. Although, a higher salary isn't the end goal.

Physics news on Phys.org
If anything, I think your work day would be *more* diluted as a consultant. After all, you'll have to spend time promoting yourself, looking for work, negotiating contracts, preparing invoices, etc. etc.

You might want to think about a small startup company. If you aren't one of the founders involved on the business side, a startup is usually very light on meetings... everyone knows the goal, and has their head down pursuing it and doesn't want to waste any time.

I will second what TMFKAN64 wrote. Another point: There is education, and there is skill. Though you probably have quite an education you probably do not have much in the way of skills and experience.

The "asinine meetings and paperwork" are the reality of today's business. You will find more of it in larger organizations, but there is no escaping it.

The reality is that your work comes from those who perpetrate the very things you detest. Your place in life exists to help them from their ignorance and they in turn will help you from yours. That's right, you're ignorant too. Nobody is going to throw money your way so that you can have quiet nerdgasms in the lab. You have to promote yourself. You have to write about what you do. You have to teach people who know NOTHING about your field of study and have insufficient aptitude to even begin study.

That's the reality. You exist to help them. They in turn will help you.

Meet them half way.

And by the way, you can get your PE only by documenting significant hands-on experience in industry. You are not likely to get that as a consultant.

I would also say that "asinine meetings and paperwork" are more than a reality of today's business, they are a requirement. Communicating your work and requirements to others is a key job function. In a Ph.D. you can often put your head down and work on your own project. That is rare in the outside world.

Also, you need to be supervised by someone with a P.E. to get your own. You can't do that if you're consulting on your own.

I understand your concerns about potentially diluting your daily work with administrative tasks in a traditional research and development setting. Consulting can definitely offer a more focused approach to technical problem solving, as you mentioned. However, it is important to carefully consider if it is the right fit for you at this point in your career.

It is great that you already have experience with consulting work and have built a reputation and network in the field. This can certainly be beneficial in making the transition to consulting as a full-time career. However, it is also important to keep in mind that consulting can come with its own challenges, such as constantly seeking new clients and projects and managing your own schedule and workload.

Additionally, as you mentioned, obtaining a PE license may be important for your long-term career goals. It's important to research the requirements and regulations for consulting with a PE license, as it may vary by state or country.

Ultimately, the decision to pursue consulting or a traditional R&D role will depend on your personal goals and priorities. It may be helpful to speak with professionals in both fields and gather more information about the day-to-day work and potential opportunities for growth and development in each. Good luck with your decision!

Related to Is Consulting the Right Career Path After a PhD in Mechanical Engineering?

1. Should I consider consulting as a career option?

It depends on your skills and interests. If you enjoy problem-solving, have strong communication and analytical skills, and are able to adapt to different projects and clients, then consulting may be a good fit for you.

2. What are the benefits of working as a consultant?

Some benefits of consulting include a flexible work schedule, exposure to a variety of industries and projects, potential for higher earnings, and the opportunity to develop new skills and knowledge.

3. What are the drawbacks of being a consultant?

Being a consultant can involve long hours, high levels of stress, and a lack of job security. Additionally, you may have to constantly adapt to new environments and work with different teams, which can be challenging.

4. How do I become a consultant?

To become a consultant, you typically need a relevant degree and work experience in your area of expertise. Networking and building a strong professional reputation can also help you break into the consulting industry.

5. What industries can I work in as a consultant?

Consultants can work in a variety of industries, including healthcare, finance, technology, marketing, and more. The type of industry you work in may depend on your skills and experience, as well as the needs of clients in that particular industry.