Is Cosh(4z) Integrable Along Any Path Between -πi/8 and πi/8?

In summary, we can integrate cosh(4z) with respect to z for any path from -πi/8 to πi/8, as long as the function is analytic and obeys the Cauchy-Riemann equations. However, since the partial derivatives u_x and v_y are not equal, cosh(4z) is not analytic. To integrate, we can split the function into its real and imaginary parts and use the fundamental theorem of calculus to find the primitive and get a result of 2sinh(4z). The correct pronunciation of Cauchy is "Co-she".
John O' Meara
Integrate cosh(4z) w.r.t., z, for any path from [tex] \frac{-\pi i}{8} \inbox{to } \frac{\pi i}{8} [/tex]. If the function is analytic, i.e., obeys Cauchy - Riemann equations we can integrate as in standard calculus.
[tex] \frac{{\partial \cosh(4(x+iy)}}{{\partial x}} = a\sinh(4x + 4iy) \\ \frac{{\partial \cosh(4x +4iy)}}{{\partial y }} = 4i\sinh(4x + 4iy)\\[/tex]. Therefore [tex] u_x [/tex] and [tex] v_y [/tex] are not equal, therefore the cosh(4z) is not analytic. So we integrate as follows: C (the path of integration) can be represented by z(t)= 0 + it, [tex] \frac{-\pi}{8} \leq t \leq \frac{\pi}{8}\\[/tex] Hence [tex] \dot z(t) = \iota \\[/tex] and f(z(t)) = cosh(it), therefore [tex] \int_C \cosh(z) dz = \int_{\frac{-\pi}{8}}^\frac{\pi}{8} \cosh(it)\iota dt \\[/tex] = sinh(it) evulated at the respective limits = [tex] 2\sinh(\frac{\iota\pi}{8}) \ [/tex]
I don't think that this is correct, I think my Z(t) = 0 +it is wrong.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
cosh(4z) IS analytic. You have to split the function into real and imaginary parts before applying CR. cosh(z)=(e^z+e^-z)/2. Now e.g. e^z=e^(x+iy)=e^x*e^(iy)=e^x*(cos(y)+i*sin(y)). So the split for e^z is u(x,y)=e^x*cos(y) and v(x,y)=e^x*sin(y) and it IS analytic. Similarly for cosh(z).

Thanks for the reply Dick. As a matter of interest do you know how "Cauchy" is pronounced? E.g., Ca-u-chy?

John O' Meara said:
Thanks for the reply Dick. As a matter of interest do you know how "Cauchy" is pronounced? E.g., Ca-u-chy?

Co-she, 'co' as in coordinate and 'she' as in she. You're welcome.

You can use the fundamental theorem of calculus here, it is easy to find the primitive of cosh(4z)

Related to Is Cosh(4z) Integrable Along Any Path Between -πi/8 and πi/8?

1. What is simple complex integration?

Simple complex integration is a mathematical concept that involves integrating complex functions. It is used to find the area under a curve or the volume under a surface in the complex plane.

2. What is the difference between simple and complex integration?

The main difference between simple and complex integration is that simple integration deals with real-valued functions, while complex integration deals with complex-valued functions. Simple integration is a subset of complex integration.

3. What are the benefits of using complex integration?

Complex integration allows for a more comprehensive analysis of functions, as it considers both the real and imaginary components. It is also useful in solving physical problems, such as calculating electric fields or fluid flow.

4. How is complex integration performed?

Complex integration is typically performed using contour integration, which involves integrating along a chosen path in the complex plane. This path can be a straight line, a circle, or any other shape.

5. What are some applications of simple complex integration?

Simple complex integration has various applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. It is commonly used in solving differential equations, evaluating improper integrals, and analyzing complex systems in physics and engineering.