Is critical angle diagram realistic?

In summary, the diagram is just an aid to calculate the critical angle (set the angle of refraction to 90 degrees and apply Snell's law). Although it is a limiting case, the principle of reversibility is preserved.
bhauta
as per diagrams in textbooks, if incidence angle = critical angle then the ray should travel straight until it reaches the surface of the denser medium and then go tangentially to the boundary something like the following

http://www.antonine-education.co.uk/Physics%20A%20level/Unit_2/Waves/Refraction/Refract_8.gif

if i now place a mirror vertically against this ray (which is tangentially traveling) , will it exactly trace its path? As per 'principle of reversibility' it should. However, it cannot 'know' where exactly it had bent.

therefore it seems to me that the behavior of ray with i=90' is somewhat undefined ( like tan 90'). please tell me experts where i am unclear.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
It's more complicated than a ray diagram. Waves have to be used.
This is done in an optics or EM textbook.

A situation is usually undefined at a boundary condition.
That's what the boundary is here; a point where one law ceases to apply and another takes over.
Actually, there should also be a reflected ray in your diagram; and this ray can be reversed.

The principle of reversibilty is preserved. In the derivation of cosec(ic) =µ, light is made incident at 90 degrees, but that does not make sense.To be incident, it has to be actually a little lesser than 90

Isn't it just a 'limiting case' though? Go to 89.999 degrees and it will work ok.
Stonebridge. Yes, they often miss out the reflected ray which is very sloppy and doesn't help in the understanding.

There is something missing from the picture: the intensity of the refracted ray.
This decreases as the angle goes towards the critical value and it's exactly zero at the critical angle. So the red line tangent to the surface represents a "ray" of zero intensity and if you put a mirror in its path there is actually nothing to reflect back.

So the diagram is just an aid to calculate the critical angle (set the angle of refraction to 90 degrees and apply Snell's law).

sophiecentaur said:
Isn't it just a 'limiting case' though? Go to 89.999 degrees and it will work ok.
And at 89.999 degrees there isn't an issue with the principle of reversibility

I agree.
But is it worth losing any sleep over? Mine was an Engineer's response and a Mathematician's response would probably be to worry a lot about it.
But a Physicist should be aware that there is a finite thickness involved to the interface and diffraction and quantum physics and lots of other things which really imply that 90 degrees exactly can be ignored.

nasu said:
There is something missing from the picture: the intensity of the refracted ray.
This decreases as the angle goes towards the critical value and it's exactly zero at the critical angle. So the red line tangent to the surface represents a "ray" of zero intensity and if you put a mirror in its path there is actually nothing to reflect back.

So the diagram is just an aid to calculate the critical angle (set the angle of refraction to 90 degrees and apply Snell's law).
thanks nasu for the most convincing answer. Thank you all

sophiecentaur said:
I agree.
But is it worth losing any sleep over? Mine was an Engineer's response and a Mathematician's response would probably be to worry a lot about it.
But a Physicist should be aware that there is a finite thickness involved to the interface and diffraction and quantum physics and lots of other things which really imply that 90 degrees exactly can be ignored.

Well I looked for a textbook-writer's response. Had the author made a brief note of indefiniteness( also the decreased intensity or the presence of additional refracted ray), why would i post the question?

It can't be the first bit if inadequacy that you've seen in a textbook. There are drop offs in so many textbooks and many students get confused. They can get very stroppy when told the book's wrong.

Related to Is critical angle diagram realistic?

What is a critical angle diagram?

A critical angle diagram is a visual representation of the phenomenon known as total internal reflection. It shows the angle at which a ray of light will be reflected back into the medium instead of passing through it.

Is the critical angle diagram realistic?

Yes, the critical angle diagram is based on the laws of physics and accurately represents the angle at which total internal reflection occurs. It has been verified through experiments and is widely used in the field of optics.

What factors influence the critical angle?

The critical angle is influenced by the refractive indices of the two media that the light is passing through, as well as the angle of incidence. The greater the difference in refractive indices, the smaller the critical angle will be.

Can the critical angle be manipulated?

Yes, the critical angle can be manipulated by changing the refractive indices of the media or by altering the angle of incidence. This is often done in practical applications, such as in fiber optics, to control the amount of light that is transmitted through the medium.

What are the practical uses of the critical angle diagram?

The critical angle diagram is used in a variety of practical applications, such as in fiber optics, prisms, and lenses. It is also used in the study of optics and can help predict the behavior of light in different mediums.