Is CS better paired with Physics or Math?

• Thread starter blaughli
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cs Physics
In summary, the individual is pursuing a Physics MS program with the goal of obtaining strong math and computer science skills. They are also interested in finding a job near the ocean and believe that their skills could be useful at an oceanographic research facility. They do not have a background in physics and are currently taking undergraduate classes. They found a probability class to be the most interesting and have taken linear algebra, which changed the way they think and sparked an interest in exploring more math. They are debating whether math or physics would be a better pairing with computer science, but are leaning towards physics due to its relevance in nonlinear unsolvable differential equation systems research. They are considering pursuing applied math as it would provide a combination of both math and another field of interest
blaughli
I'm in my second semester of a Physics MS program, and my goal is to come out with good math and computer science skills. I also want to get an interesting job near the ocean since I'm a nature loving surfer, so I thought that physics and programming might land me a gig at an oceanographic research facility (or, if all else fails, I could just program at a company near the beach).

I don't have a background in physics so I've got to take undergrad classes for a few more semesters. I took a probability class last semester and it was honestly my most interesting class, simply because it was so general and miraculously applicable to all kinds of things. I've taken linear algebra and it rocked my world - seriously changed the way I think - and it's made me wonder how else my brain might be empowered by more math. I know that things like Modern Algebra are pretty high-level, but perhaps, combined with some good programming skills, these "mind opening classes" could help me be a really powerful problem solver and inventor on and off of the keyboard.

No disrespect to physics - after all, it's the study of nature, which is my true love. I just worry that focusing on physics without a deeper mathematical background will leave me feeling like I've scratched the surface but don't really understand the bigger picture.

I'm wondering what's a better pairing with computer science: Math or Physics? Perhaps this is too personal of a question. I do think that I'd be unhappy if my work was too disconnected from the world outside. But, in the long run, I can't help but wonder if an investment in math now will pay off later, even if I end up doing science.

Thanks for reading, thanks in advance for sharing your thoughts!

Physics news on Phys.org
I think CS is better paired with Physics as so much research into nonlinear unsolvable differential equation systems requires it. As an example, research into fluid flow using the Navier Stokes is done this way. So too cosmology, GR ...

If you believe pure math will make you a better problem solver then do pure math. However do keep in mind that intro to probability and linear algebra are not like real pure math classes. I had a taste of real pure math in my graduate level mathematical physics class.

Trust me, if your school requires it, wait until you finish your grad level mathematical physics class then judge whether math is for you.

I wonder if you are confusing CS with programming? CS is very close to pure math. Very little physics in CS.

At the same time, most of CS is irrelevant to the sort of programming that takes place in companies (ok, most companies).

Applied math is probably a decent option. Most MS level applied math degrees will get into numerical methods for solving DEs, applied linear algebra, and also let you take some elective classes in another field like physics, engineering fields, or physical science.

Might give you a little bit of both.

Thanks for the input everyone. I do realize that I haven't seen much "real math" yet. I really don't have a background in proofs and I can see how the sort of math that I've done is just the application of things proven in "real math" classes. Is that sortof correct?

I also do see that there's a difference between CS and programming. I am trying to be practical and I'm not too concerned with making breakthroughs in CS. I'm more after just being a darn good programmer, and it just seemed to my naive mind that the sort of mind-stretching that might happen in "real" math classes might lead to novel programming solutions. My friend programs for a hedge fund and it sounds like linear algebra comes into play big time in his work. He also mentioned that Stats should really be taught from a linear algebra perspective!

I just got to thinking that more explorations of relationships could be a powerful thing (Modern Algebra, uh, other stuff..?). At the same time, in terms of doing work that I find interesting (creating useful stuff for the world), perhaps it's important to stay grounded in the sciences.

Sorry for rambling, I hope to get more feedback!

Oh, and I'll look into applied math, thanks. I guess another issue is that I found math to be "harder' than the physics I took last semester. My ego has been telling me to take the hardest path, since that might make me stronger in the end.

Related to Is CS better paired with Physics or Math?

1. Is a background in Physics or Math more beneficial for a career in Computer Science?

Both Physics and Math can provide valuable skills and knowledge for a career in Computer Science. Physics can help with understanding complex systems and algorithms, while Math can provide a strong foundation in logic and problem-solving. Ultimately, it depends on the specific field of CS and individual interests.

2. Can I study both Physics and Math alongside Computer Science?

Yes, many universities offer joint majors or minors in Physics, Math, and Computer Science. This can provide a well-rounded education and enhance job opportunities in fields such as data science or computational physics.

3. Are there any specific areas of Computer Science that are better suited for Physics or Math backgrounds?

There are many subfields in Computer Science that can benefit from a background in Physics or Math. For example, Physics knowledge can be useful in fields such as artificial intelligence, robotics, and simulation, while Math skills can be valuable in areas like cryptography and computer graphics.

4. Is one subject more challenging to learn alongside Computer Science?

Both Physics and Math can be challenging subjects, but the difficulty will depend on individual strengths and interests. Some students may find Physics more difficult due to its conceptual nature, while others may struggle with the abstract concepts in Math.

5. Can a strong foundation in Physics or Math help with advanced concepts in Computer Science?

Yes, a strong understanding of Physics or Math can be beneficial for tackling advanced concepts in Computer Science. These subjects provide a strong foundation in logic, problem-solving, and critical thinking, which are essential skills in many areas of CS.