Is Deceleration Really a Forbidden Word in Physics?

In summary, deceleration does not exist as an entity in itself, but it is just an acceleration in the opposite direction.
tim_lou
as my high school physics teacher stressed, deceleration does not exist. it was a forbidden word in my introductory physics class.

I do indeed partly agree with my teacher. Since if deceleration is a vector quantity, it would be very confusing since deceleration sort of implies the "negative" of acceleration. In that case, deceleration can simply be replaced by an acceleration vector in the opposite direction.

perhaps it would make more sense to define deceleration as the decrease of the speed. just like how molecule decelerate when their temperature decrease. However, it is still confusing when one switch frame of reference, where the decrease in speed in one frame can be an increase in speed in another.

well... the discussion of deceleration is indeed quite silly... but what are your thoughts?

Physics news on Phys.org
Imagine yourself sitting in a car with your eyes closed. Can you tell the difference between moving forward with increasing speed ("accelerating"), and moving backward with decreasing speed ("decelerating")?

If you have a frame of reference for speed / kinetic energy, then I would define acceleration as the one that increases velocity / kinetic energy, and deceleration as the one that decreases speed / kinetic energy.

I guess technically deceleration does not exist as an entity in itself, but it is just a descriptive word. As was stated, deceleration is just acceleration in the opposite direction. What happens when you finally reach a velocity of 0 and start accelerating in the opposite direction of where you were originally going? Your acceleration/deceleration has not changed; surely you are not decelerating anymore, but you have been accelerating in the same direction the entire time.

However, I believe most people understand the concept of deceleration so it is silly to forbid its use:smile: . It's like forbidding the use of the word cold: There is no such thing as scientific cold; it is just a lack of heat, but everyone knows what cold describes.
--
Need homework help?
http://www.wholikeshomework.com"

Last edited by a moderator:
Deceleration is a relative term, that's all.

Related to Is Deceleration Really a Forbidden Word in Physics?

1. What is deceleration?

Deceleration is the opposite of acceleration and refers to the decrease in speed or velocity of an object over time.

2. How is deceleration different from acceleration?

Deceleration and acceleration are opposite concepts. While acceleration describes an increase in speed, deceleration describes a decrease in speed.

3. Why is deceleration important to understand?

Deceleration is important because it helps us understand how objects move and how forces act on them. It is particularly relevant in fields such as physics and engineering.

4. What are some real-life examples of deceleration?

Some common real-life examples of deceleration include a car braking to come to a stop, a roller coaster slowing down at the end of a ride, and a person gradually coming to a stop while riding a bike.

5. How can deceleration be calculated?

Deceleration can be calculated by dividing the change in an object's velocity by the time it takes for that change to occur. This can be represented by the formula a = (vf - vi)/t, where a is the deceleration, vf is the final velocity, vi is the initial velocity, and t is the time interval.