Is Density Affected By Fluid Speed According To Bernoulli's Principle?

In summary: So if you have a pipe that's really narrow, like a straw, the fluid will be really dense because it's packed really tight together?
BrooklynBees
I have in my notes that as speed of a fluid increases, density decreases.
This doesn't make sense to me. When a fluid passes through a narrower area, doesn't that mean that its density is increasing because it is now packed more tightly together? If this is the case, shouldn't the rule be that as speed increases, density increases (in accordance with the concept that a fluid passing through a narrower area speeds up to maintain flow rate)?

I also have in my notes that as pressure increases, density increases.
As I stated in the previous paragraph, it seems to me that as speed increases, density should also increase. However, Bernoulli's Principle states that as a fluid's speed increases, pressure decreases. So shouldn't the rule be that as pressure increases, density decreases? (If someone helps me understand the rule from the first paragraph, I'll likely be able to figure this rule out on my own).

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Bernoulli's principle is so interesting because of this counter-intuitiveness!

The way I like to think of it is that energy density in a fluid is constant. In a formula:

pressure + .5*density*velocity^2 + mass*g*density*vertical displacement = constant

It should be clear from this that increasing velocity decreases pressure or decreases density (usually pressure).

Last edited:
"increasing velocity increases pressure"

I thought the whole idea of Bernoulli's principle was that increasing velocity decreases pressure...?

I mistyped, I've edited it.

BrooklynBees said:
I have in my notes that as speed of a fluid increases, density decreases.
This doesn't make sense to me. When a fluid passes through a narrower area, doesn't that mean that its density is increasing because it is now packed more tightly together? If this is the case, shouldn't the rule be that as speed increases, density increases (in accordance with the concept that a fluid passing through a narrower area speeds up to maintain flow rate)?

I also have in my notes that as pressure increases, density increases.
As I stated in the previous paragraph, it seems to me that as speed increases, density should also increase. However, Bernoulli's Principle states that as a fluid's speed increases, pressure decreases. So shouldn't the rule be that as pressure increases, density decreases? (If someone helps me understand the rule from the first paragraph, I'll likely be able to figure this rule out on my own).

Thank you

For incompressible flow the density will be constant. This is the typical assumption (one of them any way) with the Bernoulli Principle.

For compressible flow, the density will vary depending on the pressure. As the pressure increases the density increases and vice versa.

CS

Hmm. Okay.
Another question, then.
Is the following statement true?:
the narrower the pipe, the higher the density

Nvm, reading the previous post.

OHHH! I get it.

FAQ: Is Density Affected By Fluid Speed According To Bernoulli's Principle?

1. What is Bernoulli's Principle?

Bernoulli's Principle is a physical law that describes the relationship between fluid speed and pressure. It states that as the speed of a fluid increases, the pressure decreases, and vice versa.

2. How does Bernoulli's Principle apply to real-life situations?

Bernoulli's Principle is observed in many everyday situations, such as the lift generated by an airplane wing, the flow of water through a pipe, and the flight of a frisbee. It also plays a role in the functioning of carburetors, atomizers, and other devices that use air or fluid flow to create pressure differentials.

3. Can Bernoulli's Principle be violated?

No, Bernoulli's Principle is a fundamental law of physics and cannot be violated. However, in certain situations, such as when the fluid flow is turbulent or when compressibility effects are significant, the principle may not accurately describe the behavior of the fluid.

4. Who discovered Bernoulli's Principle?

Bernoulli's Principle is named after Swiss scientist Daniel Bernoulli, who first described the concept in his book "Hydrodynamica" published in 1738.

5. What are the practical applications of Bernoulli's Principle?

Bernoulli's Principle has many practical applications in engineering and physics, including aerodynamics, fluid mechanics, and hydraulic systems. It is also used in the design of airfoils, turbines, and pumps, and is essential for understanding the behavior of fluids in pipes and channels.

Back