Is doing a dual masters worth it?

In summary, it is possible to obtain a dual masters in engineering and physics if you are able to do it concurrently and have the desire to do it. However, it would likely take twice as long to finish as a single degree and so it would not make much of a difference - after about four years you would have two degrees whether you did them in serial or parallel. If you are thinking you can somehow squeeze twice as much work into your time as anyone else and complete such an objective early... well it's not impossible, but you should have a solid, evidence-based reason for believing that you could do something like that.
BigFlorida
I am currently finishing up my undergraduate degrees (in physics and mathematics) and would very much like to do a dual masters in engineering and physics (eventually going on to get my physics PhD). Is this feasible and/or worth it?

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you mean by a "dual masters" degree? And where are you interested in doing it?

Are you talking about a degree that incorporates aspects of both disciplines or are you talking about two separate degrees?

@Choppy I mean I am planning on obtaining two separate Master's degrees, one in electrical engineering and the other in nuclear physics. I am interested in doing it at wherever I may be able to do both degrees concurrently (if it is even possible to do such a thing anywhere), preferably MIT or a similar school. Afterwards, I plan on getting my PhD in nuclear physics.

I would really just like to know if it is possible/worth it and/or if anyone has done it or something similar.

Also, I should add: by the time I graduate, I will have had all the EE undergrad courses completed that are offered at my university. Unfortunately I do not have time to take any other engineering courses that would complete a minor in the field.

I don't see what the point would be in doing two master's degrees at the same time, but a lot can depend on the details. For example, if you're into two course-based master's degrees that would probably be fine. It would likely take you twice as long to finish that as it would a single degree and so it wouldn't make much of a difference - after about four years you would have two degrees whether you did them in serial or parallel. If you're thinking you can somehow squeeze twice as much work into your time as anyone else and complete such an objective early... well it's not impossible, but you should have a solid, evidence-based reason for believing that you could do something like that.

If you're talking about thesis-based master's programs, that's a different ball of wax. You would likely have a difficult time convincing your supervisor that you should have multiple projects.

And if your final goal is a PhD in nuclear physics, and since you're talking about US programs, it would seem to make more sense to just apply to nuclear physics PhD programs at the completion of your undergrad. If the EE master's is purely for employability purposes, it would make more sense to cross that bridge when you come to it. If you complete a PhD and feel that you need engineering-specific education to get a job doing what you want, that would be the appropriate time to re-train both because it would be based on the current market and in principle give you an up-to-date education.

@Choppy That makes a lot of sense. I suppose there is not really an upshot to doing both, in some ways I just want to prove to myself that I can handle it. I appreciate the advice and think I will just go for the nuclear physics PhD program. I guess I do not know what I want just yet and am just evaluating all of my options.

Thank you again.

FAQ: Is doing a dual masters worth it?

1. Is doing a dual masters worth the extra time and effort?

The answer to this question depends on your individual goals and circumstances. Pursuing a dual masters degree can be beneficial if it aligns with your career aspirations and provides a competitive edge in the job market.

2. Will a dual masters degree increase my earning potential?

In many cases, a dual masters degree can lead to a higher salary than a single masters degree. This is especially true if the two degrees complement each other and are in high demand fields.

3. Can I specialize in two different fields with a dual masters degree?

Yes, a dual masters degree allows you to specialize in two different fields. This can be advantageous if you have diverse interests or if your career requires a combination of skills from multiple disciplines.

4. Will a dual masters degree make me more marketable to employers?

Having two masters degrees can make you stand out to potential employers and demonstrate your dedication to continuous learning and expanding your knowledge and skills. However, it is important to also have relevant experience and a strong application to be competitive in the job market.

5. What are the potential drawbacks of pursuing a dual masters degree?

The main drawback of a dual masters degree is the extra time and financial commitment required. It can also be challenging to balance coursework and responsibilities from two different programs. Additionally, some employers may value work experience over multiple degrees, so it is important to consider the specific requirements and expectations of your desired career path.