Is Einstein Notation Used Consistently in Tensor Analysis on R³?

In summary, The conversation is discussing the use of the Einstein summation convention in tensor analysis on R³. The author is showing how to pass from one equality to another by commuting x_jx_i into x_ix_j, which changes the nature of the expression. However, since both i and j are repeated indices in the definition of P, they must be summed over. The use of upstairs and downstairs indices is also discussed, with modern texts using this notation to make it clear which indices are to be summed over. Latin indices are used in this context, with early indices ranging from 0 to 3 and mid-range indices ranging from 1 to 3.
quasar987
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
I'm reading a text on tensor analysis (on R³), and I don't understand the following exemple...

[tex]P=\frac{1}{2}(a_{ij}+a_{ji})x_ix_j=\frac{1}{2}(a_{ij}x_ix_j+a_{ij}x_jx_i)=a_{ij}x_ix_j[/tex]

To pass from the second to the last equality, he commuted the second pair of [itex]x_jx_i[/itex] into [itex]x_ix_j[/itex]. But he can't do that for it then changes radically the nature of P, for if we redistribute the [itex]a_{ij}[/itex], we are no longer summing according to the Einstein notation.

If what I just said is not clear, consider this. I am asserting that the author did the following in order to pass from the second to the third equality:

[tex]a_{ij}x_jx_i=a_{ij}x_ix_j[/tex]

On the LHS, we are summing over j but not in the RHS. So this commutation changes the nature of the expression.

Physics news on Phys.org
There's no problem commuting [itex]x_i[/itex] with [itex]x_j[/itex], since both of these are just numbers and numbers commute when you multiply them.

Note also that in the expression [itex]a_{ij} x_i x_j[/itex], you are summing over BOTH i and j, because both have a repeated index.

Let's take things slowly and suppose that we're working in Minkowski space, or indeed in [itex]\mathbb{R}^n[/itex]. We suppose that we have some rank-2 tensor with components [itex]a_{ij}[/itex] and a vector with components [itex]x^i[/itex]. Then [itex]P[/itex] is defined by

[tex]P \equiv \frac{1}{2}\sum_{i,j}(a_{ij} + a_{ji})x_ix_j[/tex]

Using the Einstein summation convention this is

[tex]P = \frac{1}{2}(a_{ij} + a_{ji}) x^i x^j[/tex]

Then,

[tex]P = \frac{1}{2}(a_{ij} + a_{ji})x^i x^j
= \frac{1}{2}(a_{ij} x^i x^j + a_{ji} x^i x^j)
= \frac{1}{2}(a_{ij} x^i x^j + a_{ij} x^j x^i)
= \frac{1}{2}a_{ij}(x^i x^j + x^j x^i)
[/tex]

However, there's no problem setting [itex]x^ix^j=x^jx^i[/itex] since the [itex]x^i[/itex] are just numbers (they are just the components of some vector, not the vector itself). Therefore

[tex]P = \frac{1}{2}a_{ij}(x^i x^j + x^i x^j)
= a_{ij}x^i x^j[/tex]

I think that you might be missing the essential point that since both [itex]i[/itex] and [itex]j[/itex] are repeated indices in the definition of [itex]P[/itex] then they both have to be summed over.

Last edited:
Is the rule "As soon as some expression has indices that appear more than once in the expression, summation is implied"?

Why did you lift up the i and j of the x's? My text does not do that.

quasar987 said:
Is the rule "As soon as some expression has indices that appear more than once in the expression, summation is implied"?

Why did you lift up the i and j of the x's? My text does not do that.

Einstein's summation convention involves summing over repeated indices. The problem with the passage you quoted above is that all of the indices are `downstairs.' This is a very old-fashioned notation - all modern texts with which I'm familiar use the upstairs-downstairs notation to make it explicitly clear which indices are to be summed over.

There's also another benefit to using the modern notation. If, for example, I have some quantity [itex]\alpha_i[/itex] and another quantity [itex]x^j[/itex] then

[tex]\alpha_i x^i[/tex]

is actually an expression of an inner product between [itex]\alpha[/itex] (which is a one-form) and [itex]x[/itex] (which is a vector). This notation makes a lot of sense because of its generality - it's easily extended to non-trivial manifolds. However, in your case (where you're dealing with [itex]\mathbb{R}^3[/itex]) the distinction between raising and lowering indices is essentially unimportant.

In non-Euclidean tensors, the Einstein convention is that if an index appears once as a subscript and once as a superscript, then a summation is implied. Since the original post had everything as subscripts, I suspect the problem is in Euclidean tensors where the metric tensor is trivial.

further, latin indices are used, implying that the summation is from 1 to 3, not from 0 to 3 as you would expect in relativity where the super- and sub- scripts are important.

jbusc said:
further, latin indices are used, implying that the summation is from 1 to 3, not from 0 to 3 as you would expect in relativity where the super- and sub- scripts are important.

That depends on which text you're reading from. Plenty of books (Wald being an obvious example) use latin indices for both spacetime and spatial components. Usually, early latin indices (a,b,c,...) run from 0 to 3 while mid-range indices (i,j,k,...) run from 1 to 3.

Related to Is Einstein Notation Used Consistently in Tensor Analysis on R³?

1. What is Einstein notation?

Einstein notation, also known as tensor notation or index notation, is a mathematical convention used to represent and manipulate tensors (multidimensional arrays) in a concise and consistent manner. It was developed by Albert Einstein and is commonly used in fields such as physics, engineering, and mathematics.

2. How does Einstein notation differ from other notations?

Einstein notation uses indices to represent the dimensions of a tensor, whereas other notations, such as matrix notation, use subscripts or superscripts. This allows for a more compact representation of mathematical expressions involving tensors, as well as a more intuitive understanding of tensor operations.

3. What are some advantages of using Einstein notation?

Einstein notation allows for a more concise and elegant representation of tensor operations, making it easier to write and work with complex mathematical expressions. It also helps to avoid errors and confusion that can arise from using multiple subscripts or superscripts.

4. Can Einstein notation be applied to all types of tensors?

Yes, Einstein notation can be applied to all types of tensors, including scalars, vectors, matrices, and higher-order tensors. It is a general notation that is not limited to any specific type or dimensionality of tensors.

5. How can I learn and use Einstein notation effectively?

To learn and use Einstein notation effectively, it is important to have a strong understanding of linear algebra and tensor calculus. Practice and familiarity with the notation will also help in mastering its use. There are many online resources and textbooks available for learning Einstein notation and its applications.