Is electric field always 0 if potential at a point is 0?

In summary, if the electric field at a point is zero, it means the gradient of the potential is null at that point. However, if the potential is zero at a point, it is only relative to some other point and we cannot determine anything about the electric field. It may be more accurate to discuss potential difference in this situation.
Nabin kalauni
I understand that if electric field at any point is 0, it implies that potential is constant not necessarily 0. But what if the potential at a point is 0? Does it imply that electric field is 0? Me and my friend had an argument and I am in the favour of electric field not being 0. Do I win guys? Plz tell me I do

Physics news on Phys.org
If the lectric field is zero at a point, then we know the gradient of the potential is null at that point.
If the potential is zero at a point, and this is the only information we have, we know nothing about the electric field

Likes Nabin kalauni
Nabin kalauni said:
But what if the potential at a point is 0?
Potential is always relative to some other point. It's conventionally taken as referenced to 'Infinity'. It may be best to talk in terms of Potential Difference in this question.

Likes Nabin kalauni

Related to Is electric field always 0 if potential at a point is 0?

What is an electric field?

An electric field is a region in space where an electric charge experiences a force. It is created by other electric charges and can be represented by vector arrows that indicate the direction and strength of the field.

How is electric field strength measured?

Electric field strength, also known as electric field intensity, is measured in units of volts per meter (V/m). It is calculated by dividing the force experienced by a test charge by the magnitude of the charge.

What is electric potential?

Electric potential, also known as voltage, is a measure of the potential energy per unit of charge at a given point in an electric field. It is measured in units of volts (V) and is related to the electric field strength by the equation V = E*d, where d is the distance between two points in the field.

What is the difference between electric field and electric potential?

Electric field and electric potential are related but distinct concepts. Electric field measures the force experienced by a charge in the field, while electric potential measures the energy difference between two points in the field. In other words, electric field is a vector quantity, while electric potential is a scalar quantity.

How are electric field and electric potential used in practical applications?

Electric field and electric potential have numerous practical applications, such as in the design of electronic circuits and devices, the generation of electricity, and the study of atmospheric phenomena like lightning. They are also used in medical imaging techniques such as electrocardiograms and electroencephalograms.

Back