Is electric field decomposable when detected by CCD?

In summary, the conversation discusses confusion surrounding the concept of light interference and the use of a CCD detector. The speaker is unsure of how to properly calculate the interference of the intersection point on the CCD and is questioning whether a CCD detector respects the direction of electric fields. The conversation also briefly mentions the use of traditional ray optics with a CCD detector.
genxium

Homework Statement

I'm learning light interference and confused by the concepts. Like the figure I attached below, while computing the "interference" of the intersection point on the CCD, I used to do this ([itex] E [/itex] represents the electric field):

[itex] E_{CCD}=E_1 \cdot e^{i (\omega t + \frac{2 \pi}{\lambda} l)} + E_2 \cdot e^{i (\omega t + \frac{2 \pi}{\lambda} (l+d \cdot sin \alpha))} [/itex]

I know this is wrong because electric field is directional and I should decompose it so that only components in the same direction add up -- yet I'm not sure how to do it. Does a CCD detector respect the direction of fields?

Homework Equations

Described above.

The Attempt at a Solution

Described above.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-04-22 at 10.10.00 am.png
    Screen Shot 2014-04-22 at 10.10.00 am.png
    5.9 KB · Views: 469
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know why you can't use traditional ray optics with the CCD at the location of the real image. You need to focus on a CCD just like on a screen or film. But perhaps I'm way off base here.

FAQ: Is electric field decomposable when detected by CCD?

1. Is electric field decomposable when detected by CCD?

Yes, electric field can be decomposed when detected by CCD (Charge-Coupled Device). CCD technology allows for the measurement of electric fields by converting them into electrical signals that can be read and analyzed.

2. How does CCD detect electric fields?

CCD uses the photoelectric effect to detect electric fields. When an electric field interacts with the CCD, it creates an electron-hole pair, which is then converted into an electrical signal that can be measured.

3. Can CCD accurately measure electric fields?

Yes, CCD is a highly sensitive technology that can accurately measure electric fields. However, the accuracy of the measurement depends on various factors such as the quality of the CCD, the strength of the electric field, and external interference.

4. What are the advantages of using CCD for detecting electric fields?

CCD offers several advantages for detecting electric fields, including high sensitivity, fast response time, and the ability to measure both static and dynamic fields. It also allows for non-contact measurements, making it suitable for various applications.

5. Are there any limitations to using CCD for electric field detection?

While CCD is a powerful technology for detecting electric fields, it does have some limitations. It is not suitable for high-frequency fields and can be affected by external interference. Additionally, CCD may have limited spatial resolution compared to other detection methods.

Back