Is electroninc engineering technology right for me? *Guidance Needed*

In summary, the person is currently 20 years old and has always excelled in math but never aimed high. They have been torn between pursuing a career in music or computer science but have decided to go back to school for an electronic engineering technology degree. They are passionate about this field but have concerns about their math background and college GPA. They are seeking advice and considering self-study to improve their skills before enrolling in the program. They are also planning to speak with someone at the college or university to get a better understanding of the program's requirements.
portal_
I'm currently 20. The highest level of math I took in high school was algebra 2 :frown:... I've always done well in math, I just never aimed high for whatever reason. Up until recently I've been torn between pursuing a career in music or computer science.. now I know that I don't want either.
Because I was undecided, I took general education classes at community college (i have about 36 credits).

Then I got a great opportunity to play drums for one of my favorite bands and tour the world... and have been doing that for the last year. It's good times and great experiences but the money isn't quite where I want it to be.. So... I want to finish school and obtain a degree. Music isn't financially stable enough for me.

So now I'm ready to go back to college and have been thinking about pursuing a electronic engineering technology AAS degree, with the hopes of one day getting the BS. Problem is, I'm not sure if this is right for me. This is a field I'm passionate about; I'm the type of person who wants to know how things work and I've always had a passion for technology and electronics. (I worked in a computer store, I am comptia A+ certified)

I just don't have the math background, or a particularly high college gpa for that matter. So my question is: do you guys think that I will make a mistake by pursuing this degree??

What are your thoughts on this matter? Any advice/thoughts are appreciated as I am in a very confused state of mind right now.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you have any doubts about your math background, it is important to take some time to assess your current abilities and do some self-study to build up your skills. It's also a good idea to brush up on your algebra and other math skills before enrolling in an engineering program. Additionally, it would be beneficial to speak with someone at the college or university you are considering attending to get an understanding of the courses and requirements for the program. That way, you can be sure that you will have the right background knowledge to succeed in your degree.

I can say that electronic engineering technology is a field that requires a strong foundation in math and science. While it is possible to learn and improve in these areas, it may require extra effort and dedication on your part. It is important to assess your strengths and weaknesses in these subjects before committing to this degree.

That being said, it is clear that you have a passion for technology and electronics, which is a great starting point for pursuing a degree in electronic engineering technology. It is also encouraging to hear that you have some experience and certification in the field already.

My advice would be to do some research on the specific program you are interested in and the requirements for success in that program. Talk to advisors and professors to get a better understanding of what will be expected of you and what resources are available to help you succeed. Consider taking some preparatory courses or brushing up on your math skills before starting the program.

It is also important to remember that a degree in electronic engineering technology can lead to a variety of career paths, not just one specific job. So even if you don't end up working in a traditional engineering role, your degree can still open doors for you in other technology-related fields.

In the end, the decision should be based on your own interests, strengths, and goals. If you are truly passionate about this field and willing to put in the effort to improve your math skills, then pursuing a degree in electronic engineering technology may be the right choice for you. Good luck!

FAQ: Is electroninc engineering technology right for me? *Guidance Needed*

1. What is electronic engineering technology?

Electronic engineering technology is a branch of engineering that focuses on the design, development, and maintenance of electronic systems and components. It involves the application of scientific and mathematical principles to create devices and systems that use electricity and electromagnetism.

2. What skills do I need for a career in electronic engineering technology?

Some of the essential skills for electronic engineering technology include a strong foundation in math and physics, critical thinking and problem-solving abilities, attention to detail, and the ability to work with complex electronic systems and equipment. Good communication and teamwork skills are also important for collaborating with other engineers and professionals.

3. What type of education do I need for a career in electronic engineering technology?

Most electronic engineering technology positions require at least a bachelor's degree in electronic engineering technology or a related field. Some employers may prefer candidates with a master's degree for more advanced positions. In addition to formal education, hands-on experience and knowledge of industry-standard software and tools are also valuable for this field.

4. What type of job opportunities are available in electronic engineering technology?

Electronic engineering technology offers a wide range of job opportunities in various industries, including telecommunications, aerospace, automotive, healthcare, and more. Some common job titles include electronic engineer, electronic technician, systems engineer, and electrical design engineer. With the rapid advancement of technology, the demand for skilled electronic engineering technologists is expected to continue to grow.

5. How do I know if electronic engineering technology is the right career choice for me?

If you have a strong interest and aptitude for math and science, enjoy problem-solving and working with technology, and have a desire to continuously learn and adapt to new advancements, then electronic engineering technology may be the right career choice for you. It is also beneficial to gain hands-on experience through internships or projects to see if the field is a good fit for your skills and interests.