Is Embry-Riddle University a Top Choice for Aerospace Engineering Students?

• Thread starter Latecomer
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Uni
In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of Embry-Riddle as a potential school for engineering physics, with one person mentioning their experience as a prior military student and another providing information about the program's accreditation and job prospects. Overall, the school is known for its aerospace engineering programs, but the engineering physics degree may be a good fit for those interested in the space focus. However, the school is also noted as being overpriced.
Latecomer
I'm vacationing east of Orlando (brought my son to visit Kennedy Space Center and a bit of beach time).
I found out that Embry-Riddle is near to the space center. Is this a well regarded school? I haven't heard of it before.
They apparently specialize in aerospace engineering, which I'm interested in, but they also offer an Engineering Physics degree, which I know is often subject to scrutiny since it's not quite one or the other, but it just sounds perfect for people who can't quite make up their minds.
Does anyone have any input about this school, especially the engineering physics degree?
I'm set to transfer from my community college soon, and this school seems interesting.

Physics news on Phys.org
I am prior military, based out of Florida, and I really only have little experience with that school. When I was first starting college, I found that they were willing to give me the most credit for my military coursework (which even I must admit was sub par). It seemed to me like they were more interested in wooing people with flashy air shows and admitting as many career military people as possible whom all sought the quickest degree possible and hoped to learn nothing by it.

That being said, I am told they have a great Air Traffic Control training program, and the flight school is very famous, but I don't know if I would consider engineering or physics there without first really looking into the school.

It's also insanely overpriced. I mean really overpriced.

QuarkCharmer said:
all sought the quickest degree possible and hoped to learn nothing by it.

Not true.

QuarkCharmer said:
and the flight school is very famous, but I don't know if I would consider engineering or physics there without first really looking into the school.

Good point

QuarkCharmer said:
It's also insanely overpriced. I mean really overpriced.

True.

Latecomer, Erau's EP program specializes mainly in atmospheric studies and is pretty small. Nothing to write home about. Although, the department does boast a 100% employment rate.

If you're going to go all the way to Riddle, your best bet is the AE degree. The students from that degree are up there with those from MIT and Georgia Tech.

Hi latecomer - I work at Embry-Riddle's Daytona Beach campus so can tell you that the Engineering Physics program is a great one - it's the largest of its kind in the nation and it's ABET accredited. Do be sure to look for that accreditatation at all the programs you explore, it's very important. This major is only offered at our Daytona Beach campus and we also offer a master's and PhD in the subject (there's also an accelerated program so you can get your bachelor's and your master's in a shorter period of time. It's true that we're most well known for our aeropsace engineering programs, but some students really prefer the space focus of the engineering physics major. I suggest you explore or ERAU website or, better yet, come by the school and see for yourself. It's worth the time.

I can say that Embry-Riddle University is definitely a top choice for aerospace engineering students. It is a well-regarded university, particularly in the field of aerospace engineering. In fact, it is often considered one of the best schools for this subject in the country.

One of the main reasons for this is its close proximity to the Kennedy Space Center, which allows for unique opportunities for students to gain hands-on experience and practical knowledge in the field. Additionally, the university has strong partnerships with major aerospace companies, providing students with valuable networking and internship opportunities.

In terms of the Engineering Physics degree, while it may not be as specialized as a traditional aerospace engineering degree, it still provides a strong foundation in both engineering and physics, which are essential for success in the aerospace industry. This degree can also be beneficial for those who are interested in other areas of engineering or scientific research.

Overall, I would highly recommend considering Embry-Riddle University for your transfer. It is a reputable and well-respected institution, particularly in the field of aerospace engineering, and offers a variety of programs to suit different interests and career goals.

FAQ: Is Embry-Riddle University a Top Choice for Aerospace Engineering Students?

1. What is the history of Embry-Riddle University?

Embry-Riddle University was founded in 1926 as the Embry-Riddle Company by Talton Higbee Embry and John Paul Riddle. It started as a small flight school in Cincinnati, Ohio and has grown to become the world's largest and most prestigious university specializing in aviation and aerospace.

2. What programs does Embry-Riddle University offer?

Embry-Riddle University offers a wide range of programs in the fields of aviation, aerospace, engineering, business, security and intelligence, and more. Some of the most popular programs include Aeronautical Science, Aerospace Engineering, Cybersecurity, and Business Administration.

3. What is the student population at Embry-Riddle University?

As of Fall 2020, the total student enrollment at Embry-Riddle University is approximately 34,000. This includes both undergraduate and graduate students from all 50 states and over 100 countries.

4. What are the campus locations for Embry-Riddle University?

Embry-Riddle University has two main campuses located in Daytona Beach, Florida and Prescott, Arizona. It also has over 130 worldwide locations, including online programs, to accommodate students who are unable to attend classes on campus.

5. What makes Embry-Riddle University unique?

Embry-Riddle University is unique in its focus on aviation and aerospace education, as well as its strong connections to the industry. The university has partnerships with major aerospace companies, government agencies, and military branches, providing students with hands-on learning opportunities and career opportunities after graduation.