Is energy relative in electrostatics?

• Thread starter aniketp
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Anomaly
In summary: Its more that we prefer to neglect that portion of the total energy. Its like when you're taking the energy of a system and dividing it by the number of particles in the system to get the average... you ignore the fact that some of the particles are moving. Its a bit like that, but with charge. We care about the total energy, not the average energy.
aniketp
Hey everyone,
Can you justify this:
The total energy of a thin spherical shell is the sum of its "self" energy and "interaction" energy.By simple calculus for a thin spherical shell,
E(total)= Q^2/8*[tex]\pi\epsilon[/tex]*R
Here,
Q: total charge
R: radius of shell
Thus as R[tex]\rightarrow[/tex]0, i.e the shell becomes a point charge, the total energy tends to infinity.So the analysis of point charge systems becomes impossible from the energy point of view.

Physics news on Phys.org
Mmmm... two things, perhaps.

First, as R->0, I am assuming you have some uniform spread of Q over the surface. Thus the word required to compress all that charge toward a point would grow toward infinity as you tried to compress repelling charges all together into one point. It's similar to the underdivision, undergraduate problems of electrostatic potential, introducing point charges, the work done, etc.

Second, it is often assumed (if you've studied Legendre Polynomials and the solutions to the Laplace equation) that the potential is zero at infinity... however, there are times we reverse this so that our solutions don't diverge and the potential is zero at r = 0, depending on which solutions are being used.

Hope this gives a little insight.

Griffiths discusses something rather similar in "introduction to electrodynamics":

David Griffiths said:
Equation 2.45, [itex]W = \frac{\epsilon_0}{2}\int{E^2d^3r}[/itex] implies that the energy of a stationary charge distribution is always positive. On the other hand, Equation 2.42, [itex]W=\frac{1}{2}\sum_{i=1}^{i=n}q_iV(\vec{r}_i)[/itex], from which Eq. 2.45 was derived can be positive or negative... Whch equation is correct? The answer is that both equations are correct, but they pertain to slightly different situations. Eq. 2.42 does not take inito account the work necessary to make the point charge in the first place; we started with the point charges and simply found the work required to bring them together. This is a wise policy, since Eq. 2.45 indicates that the energy of a point charge is in fact infinite. Eq. 2.45 is more complete in the sense that it tells you the total energy stored in the charge configuration, but Eq. 2.42 is more appropriate when you're dealing with point charges, because we prefer to leave out that portion of the total energy that is attributable to the fabrication of the point charges themselves. In practice, after all, the point charges (electrons say) are given to us ready-made; all we do is move them around. Since we did not put them together and cannot take them apart it is immaterial how much work the process would involve. Still, the infinite energy of a point charge is a recurring source of embarrassment for electromagnetic theory, afflicting the quantum version as well as the classical.

So is there no explanation for this? And we just "assume" that the energy of a point charge is zero?

Haha, I think you just gave a very verbose quotation to what I said earlier nicksauce :-)

Its a matter of perspective, aniketp. I suppose, if you really wanted, you could place a reference point at some... say.. 50% of the way to infinity and give yourself some energy. It all depends on where you define your references if you take the point charge by itself... or if you take the view of a collapse of a bunch of charge into a "point", then it would take an infinite amount of energy since you are attempting to push repelling forces all together at exactly into a delta peak.

So is it that bcause we are just interested in the CHANGE of energy it does not matter what our reference point is?

Related to Is energy relative in electrostatics?

What is an electrostatical anomaly?

An electrostatical anomaly is a phenomenon in which there is an unexpected or unusual distribution of electric charges in a system or material. This can lead to deviations from the expected behavior of electric fields and can have various causes, such as the presence of impurities or defects in the material.

How is an electrostatical anomaly measured?

An electrostatical anomaly can be measured using various techniques, such as electrostatic force microscopy, scanning tunneling microscopy, or Kelvin probe force microscopy. These techniques allow for the visualization and quantification of the electric field and charge distribution in a material.

What are the potential consequences of an electrostatical anomaly?

The consequences of an electrostatical anomaly can vary depending on the specific situation. In some cases, it may lead to a loss of functionality or performance in electronic devices, while in others it may result in unexpected chemical reactions or changes in material properties.

Can an electrostatical anomaly be controlled or manipulated?

Yes, in some cases an electrostatical anomaly can be controlled or manipulated through various methods. For example, it may be possible to adjust the electric field or charge distribution in a material by applying external forces or using specialized coatings. However, in some cases the anomaly may be difficult to control, making it a challenging problem in certain industries.

What are some real-world examples of electrostatical anomalies?

Electrostatical anomalies can be found in various contexts, such as in electronic devices, semiconductors, and even in biological systems. Some specific examples include unexpected charge buildup in computer chips, changes in conductivity in semiconductors due to impurities, and abnormal electric fields in living cells.