Is Environmental Engineering the Best Path for Clean Energy Careers?

In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's interest in pursuing a career in environmental engineering and their search for colleges with strong co-op programs. They also mention the advantages of majoring in environmental engineering and the versatility of a chemical engineering degree. The importance of considering which department the environmental program is a part of is also mentioned, with a suggestion to look for programs within the chemical engineering department based on the speaker's listed interests.
kitenyos
I am a currently a junior searching for colleges. I want to be an engineer and specialize in environmental/clean energy. My ideal job would be working for an energy company making, designing or inventing clean energy alternative technology.

What are the advantages of majoring in environmental engineering since all types of engineers can be hired for these types of positions? What is the advantage of majoring in environmental engineering as opposed to a nuclear or chemical for environmental technology? If, for example, I majored in mechanical engineering, how easy would it be to choose a path related to environmental?

I am looking at colleges with strong co-op programs but not necessarily top engineering, such as Northeastern and Drexel. I am doing this so I can be sure to get a strong job and it sounds like a lot of fun. Is finding a job in environmental tech rather easy? If so, this would make co-op less important to me.

Physics news on Phys.org
I used to be an environmental engineering major. In my sophomore I switched to chemical because its so much more versatile. A chemical engineering degree will make you qualified for all the environmental engineering jobs and much much more.

One thing to look at is to see which department the environmental program is a part of. Environmental engineering is usually either part of a school's civil engineering, or chemical engineering department, and it makes a big difference. For your listed interests, I would look for one in the chemical department.

Related to Is Environmental Engineering the Best Path for Clean Energy Careers?

What is Environmental Engineering?

Environmental Engineering is a branch of engineering that focuses on solving environmental problems by using scientific and engineering principles. It involves the study of the natural environment and the development of technologies and solutions to protect and improve it.

What are the main areas of focus in Environmental Engineering?

The main areas of focus in Environmental Engineering include air pollution control, water and wastewater treatment, waste management, and environmental impact assessment. Other areas of focus may include sustainable development, renewable energy, and climate change mitigation.

What skills are required to become an Environmental Engineer?

Environmental Engineers require a strong understanding of math and science, as well as skills in problem-solving, critical thinking, and communication. They also need to have a deep understanding of environmental regulations and policies, as well as knowledge of engineering principles and techniques.

What are the career opportunities for Environmental Engineers?

Environmental Engineers can work in a variety of industries, including government agencies, consulting firms, and private companies. They can also work in research and development, academia, or as independent consultants. Some common job titles for Environmental Engineers include Environmental Consultant, Water/Wastewater Engineer, and Air Quality Engineer.

What are the current challenges in Environmental Engineering?

Some current challenges in Environmental Engineering include addressing climate change, managing and reducing pollution, and developing sustainable solutions for resource management. Other challenges include balancing economic development with environmental protection and finding ways to effectively implement and enforce environmental regulations.