Is Environmental Engineering worth it?

In summary: Think about what you would be good at and go from there.Thanks a bunch for the advice.You should also consider that the skills of an Environmental Engineer might be transferable. You should first consult a program, and see what courses they take, what sort of analysis tools they use? Think about what you would be good at and go from there.
Jemal
I've been thinking about going into environmental engineering, but I've seen many mixed descriptions on it as I search through the internet.

Some sites say that there will be a 30% growth in the number of jobs in the next 10 years, and others say that environmental engineers struggle to find a jobs and their major is a joke.

Can anyone offer me some insight?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know much about the future job market (noone really does anyways) but you should take into account that even if there is a 50% growth in that market in 10 years if the number of enviro. students increase by 50% you might not see all those opportunities some are promising. At my school environmental engineering is really taking off. There are around 5 times more students enrolling in that program than there was just 5 years ago.

MECHster said:
I don't know much about the future job market (noone really does anyways) but you should take into account that even if there is a 50% growth in that market in 10 years if the number of enviro. students increase by 50% you might not see all those opportunities some are promising. At my school environmental engineering is really taking off. There are around 5 times more students enrolling in that program than there was just 5 years ago.

That sounds bad for going into environmental engineering...
How are the other engineering fields? Are there lots of students enrolling in other engineering
fields as well?

Jemal said:
That sounds bad for going into environmental engineering...
How are the other engineering fields? Are there lots of students enrolling in other engineering
fields as well?

The majors (in my school) that have been rapidly increasing in enrollment are bioengineering and the environmental engineering type programs (sustainable and renewable design etc). All of the other numbers have been relatively constant (civil, mech, aero, elec, software). The problem with projections is that if there is a "projected" guaranteed job in a certain industry in 10 years because a 200% growth, it will influence a ton of students to take that direction, no longer making it a guaranteed job. My advice is to take whichever engineering major you find most interesting for your undergrad, and go from there.

MECHster said:
The majors (in my school) that have been rapidly increasing in enrollment are bioengineering and the environmental engineering type programs (sustainable and renewable design etc). All of the other numbers have been relatively constant (civil, mech, aero, elec, software). The problem with projections is that if there is a "projected" guaranteed job in a certain industry in 10 years because a 200% growth, it will influence a ton of students to take that direction, no longer making it a guaranteed job. My advice is to take whichever engineering major you find most interesting for your undergrad, and go from there.

That makes sense. Does this mean I should try to major in philosophy because it has such a bad rap and no ones going to major in it? Ha ha ha I only joke.

Thanks a bunch for the advice.

You should also consider that the skills of an Environmental Engineer might be transferable. You should first consult a program, and see what courses they take, what sort of analysis tools they use?

Related to Is Environmental Engineering worth it?

1. Is environmental engineering a lucrative career?

Yes, environmental engineering can be a lucrative career. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the median annual wage for environmental engineers in 2019 was $88,860. This can vary depending on location, employer, and experience.

2. What skills are important for a career in environmental engineering?

Some important skills for a career in environmental engineering include problem-solving, critical thinking, communication, and technical skills in areas such as data analysis and computer modeling. It is also important to have a strong understanding of environmental regulations and policies.

3. What job opportunities are available for environmental engineers?

Environmental engineers can work in a variety of industries, including government agencies, consulting firms, construction companies, and environmental organizations. They may also have opportunities to work internationally or specialize in a particular area such as water or air pollution control.

4. How does environmental engineering contribute to sustainability?

Environmental engineering plays a crucial role in promoting sustainability by designing and implementing solutions to environmental issues such as pollution, waste management, and resource conservation. They also help industries and communities minimize their environmental impact through sustainable practices and technologies.

5. What are the current challenges in the field of environmental engineering?

Some current challenges in environmental engineering include addressing the impacts of climate change, finding sustainable solutions for growing populations and urbanization, and managing emerging pollutants such as microplastics. Additionally, there is a need for continued innovation and collaboration in the field to address complex environmental issues.