Is every Subgroup of a Cyclic Group itself Cyclic?

In summary, the conversation discusses whether all subgroups of a cyclic group are also cyclic. The conversation introduces the concept of cyclic groups, where an element in the group can be raised to powers to obtain the entire group. The conversation then explores an arbitrary subgroup and uses the pigeonhole principle to show that there must be an element in the subgroup that generates the entire subgroup. This contradicts the initial assumption that the subgroup is not cyclic, thus proving that all subgroups of a cyclic group are also cyclic.
robertjordan

Homework Statement

Are all subgroups of a cyclic group cyclic themselves?

Homework Equations

G being cyclic means there exists an element g in G such that <g>=G, meaning we can obtain the whole group G by raising g to powers.

The Attempt at a Solution

Let's look at an arbitrary subgroup H= {e, gk_1, gk_2, ... , gk_n}

We know since subgroups are closed that (gk_i)t is in H for all integers t, and for all i between 1 and n.

So unless gk_1, gk_2,... all have order 1 (which would mean H ={e}), then by the pidgeonhole principle, we have (gk_i)x = (gk_j)y
for some i,j and some 0<x<ord(gk_i), 0<y<ord(gk_2).

WLOG let's say y<x. Then x=yq+r. This implies (gk_i)r=(gk_j).

... I'm stuck :frown:

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: if ##H## is a subgroup of ##G##, then of course all of its elements are of the form ##g^k##. Consider the element of ##H## with the smallest positive exponent. Can you show that it generates ##H##?

jbunniii said:
Hint: if ##H## is a subgroup of ##G##, then of course all of its elements are of the form ##g^k##. Consider the element of ##H## with the smallest positive exponent. Can you show that it generates ##H##?

Assume BWOC that g^k doesn't generate H. Then there is an element g^t in H such that k doesn't divide t. But that means t=kq+r where r<k. Which means g^r is in the H but that contradicts k being the smallest power of g in H.

Thanks!

Related to Is every Subgroup of a Cyclic Group itself Cyclic?

1. What is a cyclic group?

A cyclic group is a mathematical group that is generated by a single element. This means that all other elements in the group can be obtained by repeatedly combining the generator element with itself.

2. Can every subgroup of a cyclic group be generated by a single element?

Yes, this is the definition of a cyclic group. Since every element in a cyclic group can be generated by the generator element, every subgroup of a cyclic group can also be generated by a single element.

3. What is the significance of a subgroup being cyclic?

A subgroup being cyclic means that it follows the same properties as the larger cyclic group it is a part of. This can make it easier to study and understand the subgroup, as well as provide insights into the larger group.

4. Is every subgroup of a cyclic group itself cyclic?

Yes, this is true. Since every subgroup of a cyclic group can be generated by a single element, it is by definition a cyclic group.

5. Are there any exceptions to the rule that every subgroup of a cyclic group is cyclic?

No, there are no exceptions. This is a fundamental property of cyclic groups and holds true for all subgroups of a cyclic group.