Is Excessive Buoyancy a Problem for a 4m x 4m Floating Platform?

In summary: Dear berkeman, Yes, this would be a good strategy. There is no need to be overly concerned about waves or movement of the center of gravity as long as the cylinders are placed in a stable location. Please see the attached picture for an example of the placement of the cylinders. In summary, the platform is meant to be stable and safe for people to stand on, and it will be buoyant thanks to an array of plastic cylinders. There is no need to worry about waves or movement of the center of gravity as long as the cylinders are placed in a stable location.
Hello everyone,

I am considering a project which involves buoyancy. The core component of the product is 4 meters by 4 meters (squared, solid platform) and approximately 30 cm high. This platform is supposed to float on a water surface, most likely lakes. Furthermore, the platform should be able to safely carry people. I calculated that the structure could carry around 2900 kg so weight is not a concern; however, I do have some other questions.

I would basically like to know whether there is anything like "too much" buoyancy, e.g. will a very buoyant construction be volatile due to waves despite its flat shape? Secondly, I need to investigate the reaction to shifts in the center of gravity (e.g. people moving around on the platform). Do I need to pay attention to anything specific if I decide to perform a scale experiment? I would simply construct a model that parallels the platform's weight, size, and weight distribution to scale. Is this a valid approach?

Thank you for your time.

Physics news on Phys.org
1945270 said:
Hello everyone,

I am considering a project which involves buoyancy. The core component of the product is 4 meters by 4 meters (squared, solid platform) and approximately 30 cm high. This platform is supposed to float on a water surface, most likely lakes. Furthermore, the platform should be able to safely carry people. I calculated that the structure could carry around 2900 kg so weight is not a concern; however, I do have some other questions.

I would basically like to know whether there is anything like "too much" buoyancy, e.g. will a very buoyant construction be volatile due to waves despite its flat shape? Secondly, I need to investigate the reaction to shifts in the center of gravity (e.g. people moving around on the platform). Do I need to pay attention to anything specific if I decide to perform a scale experiment? I would simply construct a model that parallels the platform's weight, size, and weight distribution to scale. Is this a valid approach?

Thank you for your time.

Welcome to the PF.

Sounds kind of dangerous at first glance. Will this platform have a railing? It would seem there are probably some regulations for the number of people who can be on a platform of a certain size -- are you aware of any boating/other regulations that would apply?

It also seems like you would want your main bouyancy supports around the perimeter of the platform, for best stability. What is your source of bouyancy?

Dear berkeman,

Thank you for your swift response! The structure does not have to carry many people at once, maybe a maximum of four. Moreover, the platform is not meant for transportation and will therefore not travel at high speeds. I will look into regulations when I know more about the feasibility of the project.

The source of buoyancy would be an array of plastic cylinders (please see the attached picture for an example). They can be placed anywhere underneath the platform. Placing them close to the edge would yield greatest stability?

Attachments

• floats.jpg
    floats.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 349

Related to Is Excessive Buoyancy a Problem for a 4m x 4m Floating Platform?

1. What is the formula for calculating the buoyancy of a 4m x 4m platform?

The formula for calculating buoyancy is the weight of the displaced fluid, which is equal to the weight of the object in the fluid.

2. How much weight can a 4m x 4m platform hold before sinking?

The amount of weight a 4m x 4m platform can hold before sinking depends on its density, shape, and the density of the fluid it is floating in. The platform will continue to float as long as the weight of the platform is less than the weight of the fluid it displaces.

3. Does the depth of the fluid affect the buoyancy of a 4m x 4m platform?

Yes, the depth of the fluid does affect the buoyancy of a 4m x 4m platform. As the depth increases, the pressure on the platform also increases, which can affect its buoyancy and stability.

4. How does the shape of the 4m x 4m platform impact its buoyancy?

The shape of the platform can impact its buoyancy as it determines the amount of fluid that will be displaced. A more streamlined or curved shape will displace less fluid and may have less buoyancy compared to a flatter or more concave shape.

5. How can the buoyancy of a 4m x 4m platform be increased?

The buoyancy of a 4m x 4m platform can be increased by increasing its volume, decreasing its density, or changing its shape to displace more fluid. Adding flotation devices, such as foam or air-filled chambers, can also increase the buoyancy of the platform.