Is \( f(x,y) = \sqrt{|xy|} \) Differentiable at \( (0,0) \)?

In summary: The directional derivative exists at (0,0) but the differential doesn't equal the directional derivative.
Buri
Here's the problem:

Let f(x,y) = sqrt(|xy|) if x >= 0 OR -sqrt(|xy|) if x < 0. Show that all directional derivatives in the direction of h exist, but f is not differentiable at (0,0).

Here's what I've done:

Basically all I need to show is the directional derivative is not linear. Since if the differential exists then df_(0,0)(v) = D_v f(0,0), but the directional derivative will turn out to be not linear and hence it would contradict a result I have.

So I have that for h = (h1,h2) that the following exists:

lim [t->0] (1/t)[f((0,0) + t(h1,h2)) - f(0,0)]
= lim [t->0] (1/t)sqrt(|t²h1h2|)

But here's where I end up getting:

lim [t->0] [|t|sqrt(|h1h2|)]/t

The above is for th1 > 0. But this limit doesn't exist as when I take it from the left and then right I end up with the same expression but with a negative in front of one of them :S Can anyone help me out on this?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Suppose we take the derivative in a direction with angle [itex]\theta[/itex] to the x-axis and let [itex]m= tan(\theta)[/itex]. Then your (h1, h2) can be written (h, mh). Now we have [itex]f(h, mh)- f(0, 0)= \sqrt{mh^2}= \sqrt{m}|h|[/itex] for h positive and [itex]-\sqrt{m}|h|[/itex] for h negative. Of course, if h> 0 then |h|/h= 1 and if h< 0, |h|/h= -1 so we have [itex](f(h, mh)- f(0,0))/h= \sqrt{m}[/itex] in either case. Since that is a constant, its limit, as h goes to 0, is just that same constant, [itex]\sqrt{m}[/itex]. That shows that the directional derivative exists.

A function, f(x, y) is "differentiable" at (0, 0) if and only if
[tex]f(x,y)= f(0, 0)+ \frac{\partial f}{\partial x}(0, 0)x+ \frac{\partial f}{\partial y}(0, 0)y+ \epsilon(x,y)[/tex]
where
[tex]\lim_{(x,y)\to 0}\frac{\epsilon(x,y)}{\sqrt{x^2+ y^2}}= 0[/tex].

Here, it is easy to see that the partial derivatives as both 0 at (0, 0) so we must have [itex]\epsilon(x,y)= f(x,y)[/itex].

HallsofIvy said:
Suppose we take the derivative in a direction with angle [itex]\theta[/itex] to the x-axis and let [itex]m= tan(\theta)[/itex]. Then your (h1, h2) can be written (h, mh). Now we have [itex]f(h, mh)- f(0, 0)= \sqrt{mh^2}= \sqrt{m}|h|[/itex] for h positive and [itex]-\sqrt{m}|h|[/itex] for h negative. Of course, if h> 0 then |h|/h= 1 and if h< 0, |h|/h= -1 so we have [itex](f(h, mh)- f(0,0))/h= \sqrt{m}[/itex] in either case. Since that is a constant, its limit, as h goes to 0, is just that same constant, [itex]\sqrt{m}[/itex]. That shows that the directional derivative exists.

I'm confused. For h positive you wrote:

[itex]f(h, mh)- f(0, 0)= \sqrt{mh^2}= \sqrt{m}|h|[/itex]

But then why is it that you don't take the limit as h goes from the right and then from the left of this one? To see if the right/left handed side limits exist?

Wait I guess the one h > 0 and the other for h < 0 are basically the right and left handed sided limits already? I guess I shouldn't have to "divide" them again.

And another question. I honestly don't understand anything of the rest since I have no idea what partial derivatives are yet. We've only covered the direction derivative and the the 'normal' derivative. But is my idea on how to finish the question okay? D_h f((0,0)) is non-linear, so the differential at h won't be able to equal D_h f(0,0) since the differential is supposed to be linear.

Thanks for your help.

Related to Is \( f(x,y) = \sqrt{|xy|} \) Differentiable at \( (0,0) \)?

1. What is a directional derivative?

A directional derivative is a measure of how a function changes in a specific direction at a given point. It is used to calculate the rate of change of a function along a specific direction, and is represented by the symbol ∂f/∂u, where u is the unit vector in the direction of interest.

2. How is a directional derivative calculated?

The directional derivative is calculated using the dot product of the gradient vector and the unit vector in the direction of interest. It can be expressed as ∂f/∂u = ∇f · u, where ∇f is the gradient vector of the function and u is the unit vector.

3. What does a positive directional derivative indicate?

A positive directional derivative indicates that the function is increasing in the direction of interest at the given point. This means that as we move along the direction, the function values are increasing.

4. How is the direction of steepest ascent calculated using directional derivatives?

The direction of steepest ascent is calculated by finding the unit vector u that maximizes the directional derivative ∂f/∂u. This can be done using the gradient vector, where u = ∇f/‖∇f‖.

5. What is the difference between a directional derivative and a partial derivative?

The directional derivative measures the rate of change of a function in a specific direction, while a partial derivative measures the rate of change of a function with respect to a specific variable. The directional derivative is a generalization of the partial derivative in multiple dimensions.