Is Flipping Coins Sequentially Different from Simultaneously for Probability?

In summary, both questions are asking for the probability of getting exactly two heads when flipping multiple coins. This is because the events are independent and can be treated as tossing four coins at once. The answer for both questions would be 6/16 or 3/8. However, if the first question is asking for the probability of at least 2 heads, the answer would be different.
Punkyc7
Question 1:
A coin is flipped 4 times. Find the probability that it lands heads twice.

Question 2:
Four coins are flipped simultaneously. Find the probability that exactly two of the land on heads

For the first one I made an H and T chart and got 6/16.

The second one I am thinking its the same thing.

My question is how is the second question any different from the first?

Physics news on Phys.org
Punkyc7 said:
Question 1:
A coin is flipped 4 times. Find the probability that it lands heads twice.

Question 2:
Four coins are flipped simultaneously. Find the probability that exactly two of the land on heads

For the first one I made an H and T chart and got 6/16.

The second one I am thinking its the same thing.

My question is how is the second question any different from the first?

Different questions, but same answer. You could get a different answer if the events were dependent on each other. However, tossing the coin doesn't affect the future coin tosses and you can treat it as tossing four coins at once. The fact that these are independent events is key.

I noticed something about question 1. Is it asking for the probablility of exactly 2 heads or at least 2 heads? If at least 2 heads, then you would get a different answer.

Related to Is Flipping Coins Sequentially Different from Simultaneously for Probability?

1. What is the probability of getting heads or tails on a coin flip?

The probability of getting heads or tails on a coin flip is 1/2 or 50%. This is because there are only two equally likely outcomes on a coin flip: heads or tails. Therefore, the probability of getting either one is 1 out of 2, or 1/2.

2. Does the outcome of a previous coin flip affect the probability of the next coin flip?

No, the outcome of a previous coin flip does not affect the probability of the next coin flip. Each coin flip is an independent event, meaning that the outcome of one flip does not impact the outcome of the next flip.

3. What is the difference between theoretical probability and experimental probability in coin flips?

Theoretical probability is the expected probability of an event occurring, based on mathematical principles. In the case of coin flips, the theoretical probability of getting heads or tails is 1/2 or 50%. Experimental probability, on the other hand, is the actual probability observed through repeated trials. For example, if you flipped a coin 100 times and got heads 60 times, the experimental probability of getting heads would be 60/100 or 0.6.

4. What is the probability of getting three heads in a row on a coin flip?

The probability of getting three heads in a row on a coin flip is 1/8 or 12.5%. This can be calculated by multiplying the probability of getting heads on one flip (1/2) by itself three times (1/2 x 1/2 x 1/2 = 1/8).

5. Can the probability of getting heads on a coin flip ever be greater than 50%?

No, the probability of getting heads on a coin flip can never be greater than 50%. This is because there are only two possible outcomes and each has an equal chance of occurring. Therefore, the maximum probability for either outcome is 50%.