Is Forehead Shape related to intelligence?

In summary, there is no scientific evidence that different shapes of foreheads indicate different degrees of intelligence.
Atran
Hi, Do different shapes of forehead indicate different degrees of intelligence?
Considering humans, Is there any relation between intelligence and forehead shape?

Thanks...

Biology news on Phys.org
I've become more intelligent over the years, but I don't think my forehead has changed shape as a result.

Google phrenology

Microcephaly is an extreme case where it very clearly does.

Neanderthals had larger brains and more sloped foreheads than us.

Atran said:
Hi, Do different shapes of forehead indicate different degrees of intelligence?
Considering humans, Is there any relation between intelligence and forehead shape?

Thanks...

In the general population, there is no such relationship.

I have heard conflicting reports. Some say people get wiser when their forehead extends, because brain cooling improves. Others say forehead extends in those wise, as an effect of brain overheating. In both cases there is an implied correlation between forehead size and intelligence. But that's size, not shape.

Likes pragalbh
lisab said:
In the general population, there is no such relationship.

I disagree. In general, the closer an animal's forehead resembles a human's, the more intelligent it is. ;-)

I would argue that placement is more critical, as a direct relationship between distance of forehead from sphincter and intelligence.

;)

Pythagorean said:
Google phrenology
So there is no scientific evidence for the forehead-shape relation to intelligence.

ThomasEdison said:
Neanderthals had larger brains and more sloped foreheads than us.
I wonder how much intelligent they were.

Borek said:
I have heard conflicting reports. Some say people get wiser when their forehead extends, because brain cooling improves. Others say forehead extends in those wise, as an effect of brain overheating. In both cases there is an implied correlation between forehead size and intelligence. But that's size, not shape.
Do you have some good links? If true, I wonder what specific part(s) of brain is (are) improving and increasing the size of the brain.

skeptic2 said:
I disagree. In general, the closer an animal's forehead resembles a human's, the more intelligent it is. ;-)
Not necessarily, you can find some intelligent animals whose foreheads is not shaped as humans (http://scienceray.com/biology/zoology/top-15-smartest-and-most-intelligent-animals/). Greats apes are the most intelligent, since, for instance, 99% of genes are identical between humans and chimpanzees.

- - - - -

I considered normal healthy people when I first asked my question.

- - - - -

What determines intelligence? Cortex area and thickness, amount of gray cells... What more? Does the frontal lobe play a important role in intelligence?
By 'intelligence' I mean the capacity to reason, understand, enjoy complexity...

Related to Is Forehead Shape related to intelligence?

1. Is there a correlation between forehead shape and intelligence?

There is currently no scientific evidence to support a correlation between forehead shape and intelligence. Many factors contribute to a person's intelligence, including genetics, environment, and education.

2. Can forehead shape be used to accurately assess someone's intelligence?

No, it is not possible to accurately assess someone's intelligence based on their forehead shape. Intelligence is a complex and multifaceted concept that cannot be determined by physical characteristics alone.

3. Are people with a certain forehead shape more likely to be intelligent?

There is no evidence to suggest that people with a certain forehead shape are more likely to be intelligent. Every individual is unique and intelligence cannot be determined by physical features.

4. What is the theory behind the idea that forehead shape is related to intelligence?

The theory that forehead shape is related to intelligence is based on the concept of phrenology, which has been widely discredited in the scientific community. Phrenology suggests that the shape and size of different areas of the skull correspond to specific mental abilities. However, there is no scientific evidence to support this theory.

5. Can forehead shape change over time and affect intelligence?

Forehead shape is determined by the structure of the skull, which is formed during early development and remains relatively stable throughout a person's life. While some changes to the skull may occur due to natural growth or injury, there is no evidence to suggest that these changes can affect a person's intelligence.