Is G truly a constant in the equation F(M,m,r)=GMm/rr?

• Thread starter Gonzolo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Constant
G in his SCC theory, which explains the observed rotation curves of galaxies, but there is no experimental evidence supporting this theory.In summary, the conversation discusses the idea of a non-constant G in the equation F(M,m,r)=GMm/rr and its potential implications for the motion of stars on the edge of our galaxy and the concept of dark matter. Various theories, such as MOND and SCC, have been proposed to explain these observations, but they are not considered very elegant. Additionally, there is no experimental evidence supporting the idea of a varying G, and current measurements of G are not able to detect any potential variations.
Gonzolo
Hi, some researchers have wondered whether the G in F(M,m,r)=GMm/rr was a true constant. I believe an associated problem is the motion of stars on the edge of our galaxy (there are either too fast or too slow...). A nonconstant G was then proposed to explaine this motion. This may relate to dark matter too, I 'm not sure. If someone can brief me of the current state this problem, I'd appreciate it.

My related question is more mathematical : What is (are) the proposed alternative(s), for F(M, m, r)? Can we make somekind of an expansion to F so that other terms G2, G3, ...Gn, are introduced? Experimentally (according to fits), what does F look like for these far away stars?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
G is constant...

because the relationship that relates the force with the mases over the radius squared is constant...and these is noway to incraese the force as you said, since an increase is the force will automatically increase the other side...

Gonzolo, you may be thinking of http://www.astro.umd.edu/~ssm/mond/, an idea which has had remarkable success in matching the rotation curves of galaxies (esp the outer parts). It does not involve a variable G.

There are various cosmological theories which have G varying, over cosmological times and distances, and IIRC a PF member (Garth) has posted in Theory Development with his SCC that involves a varying G.

MOND was developed partly because Milgrom didn't like the consensus view of the rotation curves of galaxies (that view is that they can be accounted for in terms of 'dark matter' - mass which interacts via gravity but nothing else - in the halos of those galaxies). The current state of observations is that dark matter is 'seen' in many places, and that the observations can be accounted for consistently with this dark matter; unfortunately, we are no wiser regarding what the dark matter is!

Not much of a choice. Neither dark matter or MOND are very elegant, just better than the alternatives so far as I know. A non constant G would really be messy.

That must be it, thanks. I agree that neither are very elegant, but this dark matter thing is getting on my nerves. I'll check out this MOND. In non-linear optics, the fonction [tex]P= \chi E [/tex] is simply expanded in a Taylor's series and all makes sense and is elegant. I thought a similar thing would be possible for F(G,r,r), but I still have much homework to do in the area.

Chronos said:
Not much of a choice. Neither dark matter or MOND are very elegant, just better than the alternatives so far as I know. A non constant G would really be messy.
In SCC mass also varies in order to 'absorb' gravitational potential energy and to locally conserve energy, (there is a thread on the subject), and cosmologically mass increases expontentially with cosmolgical time.
In both cases in SCC G is inversely proportional to m so GM is constant. All experiments to measure either G or M actually measure GM, to measure G we need to know M (such as the mass of a mountain), and to measure M (such as the mass of the Sun) we need to know G! So these measurements are not able to detect the local or cosmological variation in either G or M.

Garth

FAQ: Is G truly a constant in the equation F(M,m,r)=GMm/rr?

1. What is G in the equation F(M,m,r)=GMm/rr?

G is the gravitational constant, also known as the universal gravitational constant. It is a fundamental constant that appears in Newton's law of universal gravitation, and it determines the strength of the gravitational force between two objects.

2. Is G truly a constant in the equation F(M,m,r)=GMm/rr?

Yes, G is a constant in this equation. It does not change and remains the same value regardless of the mass or distance between the objects. This is why it is referred to as a universal constant.

3. How is G determined?

G was first determined by British scientist Henry Cavendish in the late 18th century through experiments involving the torsion balance. Since then, it has been measured and confirmed by various scientists using different methods.

4. Does G have different values in different locations?

No, G is a universal constant and has the same value in all locations in the universe. However, the value of G may vary in different measurement systems due to different units of measurement being used.

5. Can G be changed or manipulated?

No, G is a fundamental constant and cannot be changed or manipulated by humans. It is a fundamental property of the universe and plays a crucial role in understanding the force of gravity and its effects on objects.