Is General Relativity by Crowell Worth the Investment?

In summary, the conversation discusses the value and content of a book on General Relativity by author Crowell. The conversation also mentions the author's status as a mentor and the unique approach of the book, including its use of Mathematica scripts.
Physics news on Phys.org
I have just been informed that the author is our newest Mentor!

How cool. Guess I don't have to be concerned that the book was written by a crackpot!

I am currently working as a contractor for HP. They have several printers running nearby by my work area which are capable of spitting out about 2 pages a second. They have been printing about anything they can find with no copyright. I have picked up a 1911 history of Oregon, Frankenstein, Dracula, several of Shakespeare's plays, a Diffy Eq book, Rough Riders by T. Roosevelt. Others that I cannot recall right now.

It looks like he's trying to do something different from the usual GR book. Very chatty, lighter on the mathematical details, and with lots of Mathematica scripts.

It seems like a good deal.

I can understand your concerns about the value of a resource, especially when it comes to scientific literature. However, I believe that the value of a book like "General Relativity" by Crowell goes beyond its monetary cost. This book is a valuable resource for anyone interested in understanding the complex concepts of general relativity. It presents the theory in a clear and concise manner, making it accessible to a wide audience.

Additionally, the content of this book has been written and reviewed by experts in the field, ensuring its accuracy and reliability. It also includes illustrations and examples that aid in the understanding of the concepts presented.

Furthermore, the ideas and principles of general relativity have had a profound impact on our understanding of the universe, and this book provides a solid foundation for further exploration and research in this area.

In conclusion, while the price of a book may be a factor to consider, the knowledge and insight gained from reading "General Relativity" by Crowell is invaluable and well worth the investment. I would highly recommend this book as a valuable resource for anyone interested in learning about the fascinating world of general relativity.

Related to Is General Relativity by Crowell Worth the Investment?

1. What is General Relativity by Crowell?

General Relativity by Crowell is a book that explains the fundamentals of the theory of General Relativity, which was developed by Albert Einstein in the early 20th century. It is a comprehensive guide to understanding the concepts and principles of this theory that revolutionized our understanding of gravity and the structure of the universe.

2. What is the main concept of General Relativity?

The main concept of General Relativity is that gravity is not a force between masses, but rather a curvature of space and time caused by the presence of massive objects. This theory explains how objects with mass affect the fabric of space-time, and how the curvature of space-time determines the motion of objects.

3. How does General Relativity differ from Newton's theory of gravity?

Newton's theory of gravity describes gravity as a force between masses, while General Relativity explains it as a curvature of space and time. Additionally, General Relativity takes into account the effects of acceleration and the speed of light, which were not considered in Newton's theory.

4. What are some real-world applications of General Relativity?

General Relativity has been used to accurately predict the motion of planets and spacecraft, explain the behavior of black holes, and even help with the development of GPS technology. It is also essential in understanding the structure and evolution of the universe.

5. Is it necessary to have a background in physics to understand General Relativity by Crowell?

While a basic understanding of physics and mathematics is helpful, General Relativity by Crowell is written in a way that is accessible to a wide range of readers. The book provides clear explanations and examples to help readers understand the concepts without needing a deep background in physics.