Is Genetic Perfection the Key to a Utopian Future?

• Thread starter Entheos
  • Start date
In summary, the hedonistic imperative is the idea that our only purpose is to gain pleasure and therefore we must strive to find ways of only feeling pleasure. It suggests that with genetic modification, humans can achieve a state of constant happiness and perfection. However, others argue that this may eliminate important emotions and traits that make us uniquely human. Some suggest starting a facility dedicated to genetic perfection, but others are wary of the potential consequences. Ultimately, time will tell if the hedonistic imperative is a viable path for humanity.
Physics news on Phys.org
no replies [b(]

I kid you not this is good stuff

check it out

The imperative would be unreasonable and the new species would die off or be conquerred. Evolution strikes again.

No reasoning behind your login the_truth

The new species would in fact accelerate its evolution, so in one sense it would die off, but in another sense it would continue on (improved)

Evolution still takes thousands of years, no matter how urgent the need for evolution, unless of course this species reproduces once every few hours. If this new species cannot feel pain, it will have a tendency to slowly kill itself without realising. It could injure itself and not realize, it could exhaust it's body of water, vitamins and minerals without having the need to replenish and it would have no fear of dying as fear is painful. It would die off and the only survivors would most likely be ones that feel pain and have the need to avoid danger, beating the point of a hedonistic imperative. Of course you could somehow modify this being to gain more pleasure from avoiding danger, but that still beats the point of a life without pain. As for this being, more pleasure is pleasure and less pleasure is pain.

The imperative would make the new species unreasonable and it would die off.

A better genetic imperative would be for the standard super human. A very intelligent human, with a strong immune system, the emotional capability for compassion and maturity for assertiveness, super efficient and strong muscles, an organ which produces vast amounts of anti-oxidants slowing aging or maybe even a body which consists entirely of fetal cells to prevent aging and mutilation altogether. This super human would feel pain when something is going wrong, but easily have the capability to survive a painful situation.

The imperative should be to grow a superhuman who feels pain when something is wrong and feels pleasure when it is improving, discoverring and surviving.

def not reading that much...some one summerize what the hedonistic imperative is? and what is are indigo children

Basically, the idea that our only purpose is to gain pleasure and therefore we must strive to find ways of only feeling pleasure.

skyblueff0

The hedonistic imperative basically says that after a given period of time man will eventually perfect his own genetic code. And when that happens people will always be happy.

I think the_truth missed the point of the imperative. It is actually a step in the process to arrive at a perfect society (world peace, no crime, etc).

Hedonism

Let's look at depression as an example. I sometimes get depressed, and therefore function at a lower level. From a genetic standpoint this can be
good because depression can be adaptive or aid survival. This is good for
for our genes, but not for the person experiencing the depression. If we eradicate depression will that have a negative impact on our survival?
Probably not, perhaps a million years ago but not today.

i wonder, if i was in a constant state of happiness, would i notice at all?
isn't happiness when something is better than usual, or than it used to be?
if everyone was happy all the time, there would be no way of appreciating ones happiness as there would be no comparative sadness.
then happiness would be greater happiness and sadness would be less happiness, as it were, and we are back on square one.

cucumber said:
i wonder, if i was in a constant state of happiness, would i notice at all?
isn't happiness when something is better than usual, or than it used to be?
if everyone was happy all the time, there would be no way of appreciating ones happiness as there would be no comparative sadness.
then happiness would be greater happiness and sadness would be less happiness, as it were, and we are back on square one.

I have a devotion to my species, and I don't want humans to lose the traits that gave them their name. Taking away stimulating emotions, such as depression or despair, shatters the motive for advanced work. Pure happiness is impossible for our species, as there are uncountable actions that could end our existence. We have to live roughly, unhappily, because that's the way our species is. Humanity can be scared, blindly stubborn, arrogant, and even depressed, because that's the most human characteristic about us. We could enhance our species, through cybernetic implants or genetic modification, but we can't allow ourselves to evolve so quickly. Relativistic flights and cryogenic freezing will keep humanity preserved.

Over and out.

I couldn't agree with you more. Anything that would simplify us "for our own good" should be fought with all our powers.

Do you think we should try an experiment in this imperative?

i.e. We could start a facility dedicated to genetic perfection of the human genome. These people would exist outside of the normal world. Perhaps an underground or underwater city.

I think the benefits of this could far outweigh the negatives. And if we did it this way the rest of the world would conitue to evolve normally, so if something went terribly wrong they would be there to stop it, but if something went terribly right they would exists to spread it to the rest of the world, piece by piece.

Just think about it, put it in the back of your mind. Don't rule it out.

Even if we took away all the nagative emotions, I feel the human spirit would still thrive. We would change the face of humanity. Eliminate prejiduce. Eliminate genetic disease. Enhance our immune systems. Etc...

I can see why some people think this is a bad idea, but I can also see how those people will become less and less with time. We shall see, time will tell...

FAQ: Is Genetic Perfection the Key to a Utopian Future?

1. What is "The Hedonistic Imperative"?

"The Hedonistic Imperative" is a book written by philosopher David Pearce, which outlines his vision for a future society where all forms of suffering are eliminated and only pleasure and happiness exist.

2. How does "The Hedonistic Imperative" propose to eliminate suffering?

Pearce's proposal centers around the use of advanced technology, such as genetic engineering and artificial intelligence, to rewire the human brain and eliminate the biological causes of suffering. He also advocates for a shift towards a more empathetic and compassionate society.

3. Is "The Hedonistic Imperative" considered a realistic possibility?

Many scientists and philosophers have debated the feasibility of Pearce's vision. Some argue that it is too far-fetched and unrealistic, while others see potential in the use of technology to improve human well-being. Ultimately, the feasibility of "The Hedonistic Imperative" remains a topic of ongoing discussion and speculation.

4. What are some potential criticisms of "The Hedonistic Imperative"?

Some critics argue that eliminating all forms of suffering may have unintended consequences, such as a lack of motivation and fulfillment in life. Others raise ethical concerns about the use of technology to manipulate human biology and behavior. Additionally, the practicality and cost of implementing such a drastic societal change have also been questioned.

5. How does "The Hedonistic Imperative" address issues of inequality and social justice?

Pearce envisions a society where all individuals have equal access to the tools and resources needed to eliminate suffering and achieve happiness. He believes that by eliminating suffering, the root causes of inequality and social injustice will also be addressed. However, critics point out that this may not necessarily be the case and that structural inequalities may still exist even in a world without suffering.